New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by edma194 »

Maybe you can see it here, the website may be in flux though.

Mentioned are a larger screen, fuse and overload protection, 8 preset speeds, dust proof speed sensor. plus other features which may or may not be the same as before. I don't what it means about twice the torque.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Thanks!!! Interesting...didn't think they would ever do an update on it. I would definitely like to see what it is like in person because it replaces my one main gripe with the PowerPro which are the membrane buttons and those annoying "confirm" extra steps needed to start an operation. The actual LCD screen looks a bit small, but I am not sure they could do much more given the housing dimensions, table, etc. I also like the angle of the screen which I think would make it a bit easier to see and use in practice. I zoomed in on the 2023 catalog page to see more detail and it looks like you click icons on the LCD to select the operation, e.g. bandsaw, tablesaw, drill press, etc., etc. I would really like to see what the screens behind each function show, e.g. are they large and easy to read? They might have finally made an update to make me consider the PowerPro again. Well done.
PowerProGen2.jpg
PowerProGen2.jpg (149.78 KiB) Viewed 22845 times
Last edited by RFGuy on Fri May 26, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

It is a welcome change, but seems to be primarily the display and touchscreen. It says it has improved Diagnostics, also welcome if it at least tells me which major component has a problem. I would also welcome better thermal management of the other power and control module. I'm confused about some of the other content of the PowerPro 1.0 to 2.0 kit. Quill extension hardware? Maybe to reposition the quill feed lock and handle??? And what looks like a couple of two-wire electrical components not in the previous version. Fuse and thermal overload protection are mentioned in the description, so I'm guessing that's what these are. I'm not sure that's an improvement. Easy software updates are mentioned and the control panel appears to have a port, maybe USB. Also want to echo RF Guy, get rid of Confirm or at least give me the option.

- David
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Can't really see anything on that zoomed in picture-what are all those functions?

What I don't see is a separate Run"/ "Stop" type button on like on the PowerPro 1.0

I already think these should be more prominent. If they are completely missing in 2.0..its a "no" for me.

Maybe the whole LCD screen could become a giant "Stop" button once the motor is turning. Now that would be an improvement.

Its not good to be hunting and pecking when you need to turn the damn thing off quickly.

b
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There is still the BRS(Big Red Switch).

Yes the quill appears more extended to clear the new control panel.

I predict run/stop are in a secondary menu. I hope confirm is NOT!

Yes I would also like to be able to read the screen in the pix.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
VaOak
Bronze Member

Post by VaOak »

Sounds "Interesting".
What I have not seen yet is a "Side-by-Side" comparison chart/table.
I note they mention the Gen 2 runs from 250 to 10,0000 rpm - so does the Gen One.

They tout "Double the torque". When they compare it to the Shopsmith non-PoewerPro - true. But the PP Gen One also claimed Twice the Torque.
And when comparing the Gen One to the Gen Two - they both claim "Twice the Toorque".

Show us "the Beef" - put the upgrades/improvements in table comparison format - to be transparent about their differences.
Anxiously awaiting the comparison.
RLR01
Bronze Member

Post by RLR01 »

I echo the previous comments. I was trying to figure out what the gen 1 to 2 upgrade parts are... So, I am guessing the gen 2 is just a new touch screen style. For me, that's not enough to make the upgrade worth it.
I guess the USB interface (hopefully with a dust cover) would be handy for updates.
What I'd really like to see is an optional stop/start button that could be positioned anywhere for easy emergency stops and ease of starting and stopping when not standing directly in front of the control panel. Maybe a little wired unit that plugs into the new usb port and has a magnetic back for mounting wherever needed.
Randy

2013 Power Pro -fantastic machine-daily workhorse !
SS Belt sander
SS Bandsaw
SS Pro Planer -with hacked speed control
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:36 pm Yes I would also like to be able to read the screen in the pix.
My best guess based on icons, colors, and blurry text in the enlarged photo, is the sanding is green, sawing yellow. So starting with the top row left to right:

1. Bandsaw 2. Beltsander 3. Disc Sander 4. Drilling

5. Drum Sander 6. Jointer 7. Lathe 8. Planer

9. ?????? 10. Scroll Saw 11. Strip Sander 12. Table Saw
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The description also mentions an 'Enclosed Dust Proof Motor/Speed Sensor.' That would also be an improvement, existing is proven to not be dust proof. I don't see anything like that in the PP1 to PP2 upgrade kit picture.(?) I like the increased number of presets and the user-defined presets.

- David
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Anyone check the price? My blood ran cold when I did. Wow!!!