New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by larryhrockisland »

Thanks, I thought that wire was coming out of the back of the “sensor” :( , my bad :o
Has anyone checked the software version?
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

One observation I've had on the Gen 1 PowerPro is that there is an excellent thermally conductive path from the motor to the aluminum portion of the headstock via the motor mounts which essentially form one solid chunk of aluminum on each side when assembled. In fact I've wondered if they knew to do this, why didn't they do it for the power controller heat sink? In the DIY videos I've noticed that this thermally conductive path is essentially gone in the Gen 2, or really in all PP's with the motor that mounts differently. The major difference is that the two motor mount extrusions for each mount are not assembled together on the Gen 2, they are separated by the tension/alignment bolts. A change like this would completely change the thermal model of a PP headstock, assuming there was one, along with its thermal behavior. So I'm speculating that this change may be the reason for the addition of the thermal disconnect in the Gen 2. Simply stated, more of the internal heat generation staying inside the headstock for a longer time.

And, I'm reminded that Tom at Workshop Nerdery had an overheat condition on his PP, which is a Gen 1 with the new motor mounting scheme, while Mounted Planing.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:04 pm One observation I've had on the Gen 1 PowerPro is that there is an excellent thermally conductive path from the motor to the aluminum portion of the headstock via the motor mounts which essentially form one solid chunk of aluminum on each side when assembled. In fact I've wondered if they knew to do this, why didn't they do it for the power controller heat sink? In the DIY videos I've noticed that this thermally conductive path is essentially gone in the Gen 2, or really in all PP's with the motor that mounts differently. The major difference is that the two motor mount extrusions for each mount are not assembled together on the Gen 2, they are separated by the tension/alignment bolts. A change like this would completely change the thermal model of a PP headstock, assuming there was one, along with its thermal behavior. So I'm speculating that this change may be the reason for the addition of the thermal disconnect in the Gen 2. Simply stated, more of the internal heat generation staying inside the headstock for a longer time.

And, I'm reminded that Tom at Workshop Nerdery had an overheat condition on his PP, which is a Gen 1 with the new motor mounting scheme, while Mounted Planing.

- David
David,

I can't bring myself to watch all of either PP video because they are just too long for me to watch as a casual observer, but you make an excellent observation IMHO. I wonder if the addition of thermally conductive paste in the original Gen 1 motor mounts would give even more of a benefit for heat dissipation of the motor. I'll have to get around to watching these new videos to see how the new PP mounts differ, but your insights are definitely appreciated.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

My impression is of two piece mounts consisting of Gen 2 - Upper and Lower Vs Gen 1 Inner and Outer. Here is a telling view of the mounts:

PP Gen 2 Motor.jpg
PP Gen 2 Motor.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 8064 times

When he does the belt tension, you can see that there are studs or bolts in the upper and the position and tilt (pitch) of the motor is set by two nuts on each stud. It's hard to see the studs in this picture against his dark shirt. Adjustment is similar on Gen 1, except that when you are done adjusting you lock the inner and outer mounts together with machine screws.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

New video from Mike showing a little more detail on the new Gen 2 touchscreen including a view inside the back of it. He also mentioned that his upcoming Demo events will show off the Gen 2 version, but the one I signed up for previously didn't unfortunately because it was too soon after they announced it.

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I completed the upgrade of my Powerpro headstock from Generation 1 to Generation 2. My machine was working just beautifully cutting some 1/32" veneer on the bandsaw and suddenly I heard a loud pop and the Powerpro shut off with the display being blank. The circuit breaker did not trip. I shut off the power switch on the headstock, unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned the power switch back on and still a blank screen. I am so aggravated with this headstock. I do not want to be an electronics or mechanical repairman. I just want to use it to do woodworking.

I bought this headstock from Shopsmith new in 2016. After four years the power supply failed and Shopsmith sent a new power supply to me under warranty. Now I have to send the headstock back for repair out of warranty. I e-mailed Customer Service on this issue and am waiting for their reply.

I am about to call it quits on the Power Pro headstock and go back to the traditional Mark V headstock.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

stephen_a._draper wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:26 pm I am about to call it quits on the Power Pro headstock and go back to the traditional Mark V headstock.
I understand how you feel. There are too many cases of this happening. I already spend the money, if something goes wrong it's choice between a total loss or spending another big chunk of money. If I go back to conventional headstocks it's because I don't want to see more money go down the drain.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

I bought a new in the box Mark V headstock for $642 delivered. That is less money than the $662 it will cost for a power supply delivered from Shopsmith. I don't know what I will do with the Power Pro headstock. It is unusable the way it is.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

stephen_a._draper wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:54 am I don't know what I will do with the Power Pro headstock. It is unusable the way it is.
Put it up for sale on eBay. You're way far from civilization, the cost of shipping the parts around is prohibitive, but if you were closer I'd help diagnose the problem. If it's just the power supply your motor should still be worth a lot. You could try to find someone near enough to you to test it somehow before dealing with shipping and returns involving a potential buyer, but there should be some value there to recover.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

I will send it to Shopsmith and see what they say it needs and the cost. After they repair it I will have them ship it to whoever buys it from me.