New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:10 am Anyone check the price? My blood ran cold when I did. Wow!!!
Yeah, that is still a concern of mine...for that price of a headstock, one could buy a complete Sawstop cabinet TS instead. Still trying to give Shopsmith the benefit of the doubt and I want to see this thing in person. I agree with most, if not all, of the concerns raised above. Thanks for pointing out the quill change and that makes sense to me now. Looking at the pic again, it makes me wonder if the Shopsmith magnetic, quick release drill press handle will fit or potentially be in a position to hit and damage the LCD screen. One thing to keep in mind with having an LCD screen is how prone they can be to breakage with impacts - potential negative in a wood shop unless the screen has been ruggedized. Also a question that I have is how well this particular LCD screen will handle touch screen inputs and how responsive it will be once a thin film of sawdust settles on it. Most LCD touchscreens now are capacitive (used to be resistive) type, so any dust that settles on the screen will affect ADC measurements on the touchscreen interface. It can be managed, but just a small concern for integrating "tech" into a platform like this. Still, trying to be positive overall here. As some of you know, I have been a vocal critic of Shopsmith on this forum, but I hope you also realize that I love my Shopsmith equipment and continue to use it productively. So, I try to be balanced in my feedback here, i.e. listing the good with the bad...pointing this out because I don't think it is always evident from those who read my responses sometimes on this forum. I use and love my Mark V, but also am not hesitant to point out its weaknesses. In the end, ANY movement/change/update that Shopsmith makes is a net positive in my opinion and I applaud them for attempting to make what is hopefully a very positive change on this platform with the Gen 2 PowerPro.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:10 am Anyone check the price? My blood ran cold when I did. Wow!!!
Gen 1 headstock was recently $2419 and DIY kit was $1959 (still listed this way: https://www.shopsmith.com/shopsmithpowe ... rchase.htm)

So increases of $376 and $370 respectively for Gen 2. And $419 for the PP1 to PP2 upgrade. I want to see a demo, maybe Mike Young will do one. I see several improvements, but in addition to the cost I'm thinking near total disassembly of the headstock for the PP1 to PP2 kit.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:43 am
JPG wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:36 pm Yes I would also like to be able to read the screen in the pix.
My best guess based on icons, colors, and blurry text in the enlarged photo, is the sanding is green, sawing yellow. So starting with the top row left to right:

1. Bandsaw 2. Beltsander 3. Disc Sander 4. Drilling

5. Drum Sander 6. Jointer 7. Lathe 8. Planer

9. ?????? 10. Scroll Saw 11. Strip Sander 12. Table Saw
????? = Router Shaper

I think a piece of painter's masking tape over the usb port would be prudent.

The pix of upgrade components includes what looks like a snap on cover.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:04 pm The pix of upgrade components includes what looks like a snap on cover.
Looks like it has three holes, it might mount where the traditional speed control goes and the TS display snaps into it.(?) Center hole, a grommet to protect the wiring.(?) Both guesses on my part.

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:04 pm

????? = Router Shaper

Looks right.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:13 pm
JPG wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:04 pm The pix of upgrade components includes what looks like a snap on cover.
Looks like it has three holes, it might mount where the traditional speed control goes and the TS display snaps into it.(?) Center hole, a grommet to protect the wiring.(?) Both guesses on my part.

- David
This could be interesting. I'd like a display that's rotated 90° in drill press mode, or all the time on my drill press. This maybe can do that. A USB port or something similar might allow a remote control, or some way to turn on a dust collector when the motor is turning. $400+ bucks for this upgrade is steep. I'll have to get at least one, but I'll let someone else be the guinea pig and try it first.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

Wish we could see the instructions for the touchscreen upgrade.
The website shows the full upgrade and the complete headstock for $2645, surely they’re not the same price! Why buy a kit when you can get a complete headstock for the same money :confused: The part number is the same for both and takes you to the gen 1 page.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

DLB wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:30 am I'm thinking near total disassembly of the headstock for the PP1 to PP2 kit.

- David
I believe it will be a complete tear down. If you look at the parts for the PP1 to PP2 kit, one of them appears to be the quill feed pinion. It looks like it is longer. Probably so the quill feed handle does not hit the new display.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Looks like you can get a complete headstock unit for $2645 and simply replace your old headstock, or you can get an upgrade kit to upgrade your existing headstock for only $2645. Decisions, decisions....

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV993

Interesting that the first option shows a complete headstock whilst the second shows a parts kit, but both are the same part number.
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 10.41.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 10.41.01 PM.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6190 times
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Can't be correct(same part #). I recall earlier today the DIY was $2200 +.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange