New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by DLB »

stephen_a._draper wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:26 pm I completed the upgrade of my Powerpro headstock from Generation 1 to Generation 2. My machine was working just beautifully cutting some 1/32" veneer on the bandsaw and suddenly I heard a loud pop and the Powerpro shut off with the display being blank. The circuit breaker did not trip. I shut off the power switch on the headstock, unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned the power switch back on and still a blank screen. I am so aggravated with this headstock. I do not want to be an electronics or mechanical repairman. I just want to use it to do woodworking.

I bought this headstock from Shopsmith new in 2016. After four years the power supply failed and Shopsmith sent a new power supply to me under warranty. Now I have to send the headstock back for repair out of warranty. I e-mailed Customer Service on this issue and am waiting for their reply.

I am about to call it quits on the Power Pro headstock and go back to the traditional Mark V headstock.
I understand your frustration. Like many others, I keep a complete conventional headstock on hand as backup. In addition to the high cost, many PowerPro repairs take a comparatively long time.

For clarity, there is no circuit breaker in either the Gen 1 or 2 PowerPro, but there is both a thermal disconnect (resettable) and a fuse in the Gen 2. Did you check both? I'm not tying to nitpick, just to understand. Counting the facility circuit breaker for the circuit you are on, that is three possible sources of power interruption with the same basic symptoms. If it is on a GFCI circuit there is likely one more.

IIWM I would disassemble it to inspect internal power wiring. Seeing the modification in only two-dimensions, I was not completely comfortable with the added power wiring and its proximity to moving parts like the quill feed. In three dimensions there may be all kinds of clearance, I haven't seen an actual Gen 2. IIWM I would also put the original display back on to confirm it is not simply a problem with the new display. But I agree that the loud pop symptom is more consistent with a power supply.

These all fall under the category of things you've said you don't want to do, and I get it. Chances of an easy fix are slim, and it won't make the PowerPro reliable or maintainable in the way a conventional headstock is.

- David
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I did check the fuse and the thermal disconnect and they were both normal. I already sold the old display. Shopsmith gave me an RMA so I will send it to them and see what they say. I will either have them fix it and have it shipped to whoever buys it on eBay or just let Shopsmith keep it if the cost is over $1000. I have a backup conventional headstock and have also ordered a new conventional headstock that I found new on eBay for $642 delivered. I have had this PowerPro for 7 years and do not do any routing with it and shaping rarely so I will not really miss it.

I don't see how Shopsmith will do well going forward with $5000 being the least amount of money you can spend now for a machine with the PowerPro headstock. The PowerPro is prone to failure; anything with electronics has that weakness. Heat and vibration are both bad news for electronics. I think going forward that the two conventional headstock offerings (Mark 4 and 520s) will be their bread and butter.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

stephen_a._draper wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:57 am I will send it to Shopsmith and see what they say it needs and the cost. After they repair it I will have them ship it to whoever buys it from me.
Good luck with that scheme!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

stephen_a._draper wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:30 pm I did check the fuse and the thermal disconnect and they were both normal. I already sold the old display. Shopsmith gave me an RMA so I will send it to them and see what they say. I will either have them fix it and have it shipped to whoever buys it on eBay or just let Shopsmith keep it if the cost is over $1000. I have a backup conventional headstock and have also ordered a new conventional headstock that I found new on eBay for $642 delivered. I have had this PowerPro for 7 years and do not do any routing with it and shaping rarely so I will not really miss it.
Let us know what Shopsmith determines is wrong and how you/they are proceeding.

- David
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

Sue at Shopsmith called me today and said they will replace the Power Supply at No Charge. Good Company.! I will not sell it and will keep it. They will send my machine to the power supply manufacturer to do the work which will take 6 to 8 weeks.