New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:34 pm My electrical service has been 117V since WW2. :rolleyes:

Yes I resonate re two phase descriptions of US domestic power(I know nothing re elsewhere). I make a small effort to correct that misconception when I see it.

In your case I truly believe you understand(but old habits sneak out sometimes).
JPG,

I appreciate you correcting me. :) Always trying to get to the truth, so if I get something wrong like that please chime in.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:02 pm So "maybe" proof reading is a lost art?(and considered redundant).
Also a big problem is that younger people today do not understand (not taught) the proper structure of the English language. When I was in junior high school in the late 50's early 60's we learned how to diagram sentences and the proper structure of sentences. We actually had to diagram sentences and know what nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives etc. were. We learned the rules that govern certain elements of the language.

My favorite it the word historian or historical. It is not "a historical event" it is "an historical event". A rule of the language that is almost always gotten wrong today.

Sorry, I am off topic and will shut up now. Oh BTW I did proof read this before posting. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Now when does one you the word whom?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:42 pm Now when does one you the word whom?
You obviously didn't prof read. :)

Who is the subject and whom is the object.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:07 pm Who is the subject and whom is the object.
I thought Who was on first.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What professor did I not read? youse?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

:D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:30 pm Yeah, I kind of thought it looked like a thermal overload protector, but have only seen these on a few products. It looks resettable, but I was wondering how it worked, i.e. how can it be close enough to sense thermal temp of motor, but maybe the point is ambient rise inside the housing will set it off of the Gen 2 overheats? Referring to that device to the right of the fuse socket on the back of the headstock in the pic from Jack.
I agree with your comments on the thermal overload. The Gen 1 monitors what I believe is heatsink temperature of the control module and takes action (software) in case of overheat. The motor slows down but does not stop, which keeps the fan turning. You're supposed to stop using it. I don't know what to make of the addition of the old-school thermal overload monitoring something else, air or case temp. Is that in addition to the old system? If yes, does it trip at a lower threshold? I was surprised when I saw it on Jack's picture, from the words I thought they were adding it to the motor case. I presume that a Gen 2 either runs longer or shorter before overheating under like conditions. Maybe it's all in the manual...

Phases - I think of this as naming convention. But I mostly worked on stuff with three phases and we referred to any 180 degree (or opposite amplitude) products as A', B', or C'. We called them phases. It is in the same category for me as direction of current flow, I learned electron flow in the service and had to re-learn it as conventional flow (aka hole flow) in college where amps flow in the opposite direction. As woodworkers, it is relevant that equipment labeled 230V single phase will work on household 240VAC (whether we call it 220, 230, or 240).

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Beware of 208V!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

I will get you the measurements in a day or so. Certainly by the weekend. The screen looks all scratched up but that is the protective cover, figured I would leave it on till installation is complete. Mark 5 is set up for removal and replacement and the new headstock has a 220 plug on it. I will keep y'all posted.
RFGuy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:00 am
claimdude wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:44 am Pics of my new PowerPro Gen 2. Runs well. I have to change the plug over to 220. Should get that done tonight.

Jack
Jack,

Thanks! Can you measure the LCD screen size (display part, not bezel)? Would like to know x (width) and y (height) dimensions. Also, once you have had some time on it give us an update and let us know your thoughts.