Eccentric Adjustment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigSky
Gold Member

Eccentric Adjustment

Post by BigSky »

I don't recall having ever adjusted the eccentric.

Would someone please try to bring me up to speed. What is the purpose of the eccentric adjustment? My guess is that it is the adjustment for poly-v belt tension. What symptoms are there indicating a need to make this adjustment?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Eccentric Adjustment

Post by chapmanruss »

BigSky,

Your guess is correct. The Owner's Manual under maintenance explains how to check the belt tension and adjusting it. The link below is for the Mark V 500 Summary Manual from here on the Shopsmith Website and page 55 has the Belt Tensioning information.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Reason for adjusting - belt slips under load.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Since this adjustment involves the idler shaft does it in any way effect the motor belt and/or idler pulley?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

BigSky wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:30 pm Since this adjustment involves the idler shaft does it in any way effect the motor belt and/or idler pulley?
I would say yes, but more in theory than in practice. Most common adjustment is in the direction to tighten the upper belt. That moves the Idler a tiny bit closer to the motor shaft, lowering belt tension which will then be countered by the spring, moving the sheaves very slightly closer together to remain in balance with belt tension. Resulting in a slightly higher speed at the various spindles. Not enough to matter, but probably enough to measure with a digital tach.(?)

A note for those that may search and find this thread, the discussion revolves around Poly-V conventional headstocks. The use of the Eccentric Adjustment is slightly different on both Gilmer and PowerPro headstocks.

- David