Mahogany Serving Tray

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Mahogany Serving Tray

Post by STB »

The Mahogany used for the serving tray come from an old council TV cabinet that had a solid Mahogany top. Note the close fit of the compound cut beveled corners. I am always amazed at the accuracy that can be achieved with the SS. The second photo is of the prototype used to refine the compound angles. Out of curiosity I did a web search on council TV cabinet, and they still make them.
A little personal note, After returning from overseas 1970 we bought our first home (a trailer house) One relative give us a large council TV that had no sound and took up one wall of the trailer. We had another with no picture setting on top so between the two we watched one of two stations. I wonder if that would happen today.
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (187.49 KiB) Viewed 935 times
P4.jpg
P4.jpg (130.74 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mahogany Serving Tray

Post by algale »

That's quite nice and the compound miters are really good!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Mahogany Serving Tray

Post by DLB »

STB wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:42 pm A little personal note, After returning from overseas 1970 we bought our first home (a trailer house) One relative give us a large council TV that had no sound and took up one wall of the trailer. We had another with no picture setting on top so between the two we watched one of two stations. I wonder if that would happen today.
I'd say that wouldn't happen today. One of my kids is in that part of their life, TVs people give away these days are pretty nice!

Great looking tray! Did you do the compound miters by table tilt and and miter setting, or use a jig? If a jig, please share...

- David