band saw - how good is "good"?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

80spiders
Gold Member

band saw - how good is "good"?

Post by 80spiders »

I suspect this question as been asked and answered a number of times on here - I have searched some but have not found my answer. I have worked with and remounted my aluminum table to my band saw and adjusted the fence to the 5/8 blade as directed. I took a scrap piece of pine 2x3 and ripped a thin piece that was 3" wide and 7/32 in thickness. I took my calipers and measured the accuracy. One side is .025 of an inch thicker than the other side or about 1.65/64 difference over the 3 inches of width. Please let me have your thoughts as I am new to this - "You can do better" or "That is about right." I do know that this cut is a lot better than what I was getting. Thank you.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: band saw - how good is "good"?

Post by JPG »

Did thee create a straight side(flat plane) by planing first?

Is the workpiece "square"(bottom square to the side measured)?

Is the cutoff(wide piece) bottom square to the sawn side?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

How long was the piece? If it was 3 inches long maybe you could do better. If it was 20 feet long it might be incredibly good. At any length you are still dealing with a bandsaw and the blade could easily flex by .025" between any two points.
Last edited by edma194 on Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

Did thee create a straight side(flat plane) by planing first?
----response - no, this was a piece of lumber from Home Depot - a cutoff scrap - it did not occur to me run it over the jointer first.

Is the workpiece "square"(bottom square to the side measured)?
---- response - yes

Is the cutoff(wide piece) bottom square to the sawn side?
..... response - yes - I think, but the surface area on one side (7/32 thick) does not leave a lot of area to be sure
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

edma194 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:16 am How long was the piece? If it was 3 inches long maybe you could do better. If it was 20 feet long it might be incredibly good. At any length you are still dealing with a bandsaw and the blade could easily flex by .025" between any two points.
the piece is 16" long.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I think that's pretty good for cutting wood with a fence if that's the worst of it. I would be checking how my cuts were holding to a line while using the miter gauge or moving the piece by hand.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

Edma194 - thank you for your input - have a great day.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Consider 0.025" over 3" is less than 1% variation over a relatively non precise work piece.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

JPG wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:20 pm Consider 0.025" over 3" is less than 1% variation over a relatively non precise work piece.
:) thank you, JPG
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

That doesn't sound that bad to me. Correct blade tension and lowering the upper blade guide close to the top of the item being cut will reduce, as much is possible, the blade from wandering. Some wandering can be the blade trying to follow the grain of the wood. Just different factors that affect cuts. Different types of saws have their pluses and minuses for different types of cuts. The Bandsaw would not be my choice for a finish cut to width or thickness of a board. I would use your setup for resawing boards to thickness but followed by running them through the Planer for the finished thickness.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.