Great Idea or Just Madness...

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Great Idea or Just Madness...

Post by JPG »

tfrayne wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:24 am The outfeed support is a direct copy of Scott Markwood's YT video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KE7U2GrsZ4&t=7s

Not sure of the policy of linking YT videos on this forum, but if you paste that into your browser and replace the (dot) with a . it will work.

It uses ShopSmith T Nuts to attach to the rip fence. The holes are indeed to reduce weight. The material is 3/4" phenolic that I had left over from another project. I've just gotten into the habit of using the support legs whenever I have the machine upright.

The one thing I would do differently is to make little "feet" protruding from the edge of the support piece where it touches the table. It would be intuitive to snug the fixture up to the table but this causes the rip fence to hang up when making adjustments to it. I think if it had two little nubs to touch the fence instead of the whole leading edge, it would slide more smoothly. To remedy this, I just need to remember to pull it back about 1/8" before tightening down the T nut bolts.
Fear not! Links to YT are acceptable.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

tfrayne wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:24 am The one thing I would do differently is to make little "feet" protruding from the edge of the support piece where it touches the table. It would be intuitive to snug the fixture up to the table but this causes the rip fence to hang up when making adjustments to it. I think if it had two little nubs to touch the fence instead of the whole leading edge, it would slide more smoothly. To remedy this, I just need to remember to pull it back about 1/8" before tightening down the T nut bolts.
Thanks! Took me a while to understand what you were saying about the "feet" but I see your point.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

It really is handy and I end up using it all the time; and not just for sawing. Anything going past the end of the table can easily be supported.

If you like I can post some photos of the fixture in another thread. But I take no credit for it. I just copied what I saw Mark do on YouTube!

And the first circle is cut.

Lazy Susan 07.jpeg
Lazy Susan 07.jpeg (80.64 KiB) Viewed 4317 times

But that's all for this weekend. Cut my finger on the chicken coop screen. Bloody band aids and glue mix, but not well....
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Thanks, JPG!
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

Swiley3362
Bronze Member

Post by Swiley3362 »

Looks like an interesting concept. It will be interesting to see it when it is completed. I have built a cabinet with pull out trays that stores my jointer, bandsaw, jigsaw, belt sander, and lathe tail stocks. I have been adding hangers for table extensions on the outside of the cabinet (I can take new pictures to share later). I have included a couple drawers to house smaller components (drill bit kits, router bit kits, drum sandpaper, etc.). I have also built a tray under the bench and way tubes on my Mark 7 to manage my accessories. It sure beats laying components around the shop (and trying to find later).
Attachments
Mark 7 Tray.pdf
(2.93 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
SS Cabinet.pdf
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 316 times
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

tfrayne wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:28 pm It really is handy and I end up using it all the time; and not just for sawing. Anything going past the end of the table can easily be supported.

If you like I can post some photos of the fixture in another thread. But I take no credit for it. I just copied what I saw Mark do on YouTube!
Yes, please!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Well, one of the circles folded up a tad. I am debating whether to save it with a backing piece or start over and use thicker boards. I am leaning towards starting over because 40" seems a bit small for what I'm shooting for. Next one will be 44"-46" and nearly twice as thick.

But I did get the hardware yesterday. I will include a photo of that later. It's 36" in diameter and rated for 850LB

In the meantime, here are some pictures of my Scott From MY GROWTHRINGS inspired outfeed support fixture:

Lazy Susan 08.jpeg
Lazy Susan 08.jpeg (56.42 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Lazy Susan 10.jpeg
Lazy Susan 10.jpeg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Lazy Susan 11.jpeg
Lazy Susan 11.jpeg (67 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
It attaches to the rip fence with two SS T nuts and a 1/4-20 bolt with a 7/16 bolt head. I use a nut driver that I keep on the accessory shelf to install and uninstall it.

I made a chamfer on the piece that attaches to the fence to allow space for sawdust. I did make holes in the outfeed support piece to reduce weight.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Oops - that was supposed to be another thread....
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

tfrayne wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:53 pm Oops - that was supposed to be another thread....
Thanks for posting the pics of your fence extension/outfeed table!

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

I am going to have a pause on this project. My planer (DW735) threw a chain and it broke two links. It is an older model I bought used and abused a few years ago. I will repair it and hand it off to my son. In the meantime I ordered a new one from Home Depot. With military discount it was $540. That's without the infeed/outfeed tables because I can transfer parts from the old one to the new one.

The day it broke, I went back to the house to sulk and browse CL for another used planer. Did not find one.

However..... I did find a Mk V 500 greenie!

Asking price was $140 and that seemed fair because it came with a model 610 jigsaw. Brought it home to put next to my 520. I think it will make an excellent slow paced project.

Spent a few hours cleaning to get it to a point where it "presentable." From the looks of it, I will need at a minimum a new power cord, new wheels, all of the panhead screws, one accessory mount lock, a tailstock and everything associated with the table saw besides the table itself.

I tore into the jigsaw yesterday and I find no evidence of it ever having oil in it. The white plastic yoke was broken. I may have done that by slowly spinning it by hand. But it was otherwise very clean inside with no oil residue of any kind.

Not sure about the jigsaw's age, but looking up the Mk V SN it shows to be a 1956. I have ordered a reproduction manual for it and a 3D printed yoke.
Attachments
greenie 01.jpeg
greenie 01.jpeg (81.75 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
greenie 02.jpeg
greenie 02.jpeg (81.42 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
greenie 03.jpeg
greenie 03.jpeg (83.27 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!