Great Idea or Just Madness...

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigSky
Gold Member

Re: Great Idea or Just Madness...

Post by BigSky »

I'd be really, really satisfied if it was destined for my shop. GOOD JOB
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Thanks, BigSky.

I'm getting wet feet about turning this spindle and thinking of other ways to accomplish this. I don't think I am experienced enough at turning to safely do it. Need more practice.

I am now considering 3/4' ply wood. The "spindle" would be a hexagon shaped box with a diameter of about 7-8". Those cuts would be easy enough at 30 degrees. When joined, all sides would be 60 degrees. From there, each angle would have a piece of plywood running from that angle out towards the outer edge of the circle. This would make building drawers easier when I get to that part. Pocket screws would be ideal to join the hexagon to both circular table tops.

I still have a good deal of planing left to do, especially on the bottom table.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I just got back on the site after a few years hiatus and got interested in this thread. No further progress since August 8th?
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Alas, I got sidetracked. I am officially blaming the TX heat, but that excuse runs thin in late December. Haha.

I got sidetracked when my planer broke. In looking for a replacement on CL, I found a 1956 greenie and that led me down a rabbit hole.

The project is waiting patiently, and I have promised it my full shop attention after New Years. Sorry for the late response, I too, have not been on the forum for a bit.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

After a great long time, I finally have an update on this project. It has been dragging on and has been sidelined by other events, but I have been working on it when I can.

At this point, I have the base completed and finished with several coats of polyurethane. I got the bottom table installed permanently and am in the process of finishing it with poly. And after a great deal of indecision, I have finally settled on a series of three inner cabinets, The rear corners of each will butt up against each other at 60 degrees. As I rotate the Lazy Susan table, I will have access to anything on top such as jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, etc; as well as whatever can be stored in three cabinets below.

The carcasses have been built. Next will be installing soft drawer slides, building drawers and mounting the carcasses onto the bottom table. It will take some measuring and adjusting, but when I get it centered to the point I am satisfied with it, I can permanently mount them to the bottom table.

At that point, I can lay the top table over the cabinets and begin the process of final planing and sanding. I have predrilled pilot holes in the tops and bottoms of the carcasses to allow easy mounting to the table tops.

When it is finished, I can begin the process of making sure everything has a place. I have already measured, and each of the floating tables can hang from the side of the cabinet. I will need to figure out things for holding the miter gauge, the fence, saw blades and sanding disks, etc.

I have two or three of the SS Special Purpose Tool mounts, but I am leaning toward building my own.
Attachments
Lazy Susan 22.jpeg
Lazy Susan 22.jpeg (70.42 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Lazy Susan 24.jpeg
Lazy Susan 24.jpeg (82.3 KiB) Viewed 790 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

That’s a seriously big Lazy Susan!

That said, I’m very fond of eating at an even bigger one, although it’s been a decade or two. It’s part of a huge round table in the former basement kitchen of Miss Mary Bobo’s boarding house in tiny Lynchburg, Tennessee, which is now owned and operated by the Jack Daniels Distillery. That Lazy Susan sits just above the center of a giant round table that seats maybe 15 or 20 people. They load it up with dishes full of delectible Southern-cooked vittles, and then you can rotate it to bring your faves right in front of your plate for dishing up. If, that is, the other folks at the table are reasonably polite, or else you have greater upper body strength! :D I’m told that sucker is mounted on a car axle.

BTW, don’t feel bad about the project delays. I set out to build a secret room just off of my youngest daughter’s bedroom, when she was about 13 years old. I got it about 80% complete, and then life got in the way. That daughter is now 24, and has been married for a couple of years now. I still haven’t finished that secret room, but I’ll bet that the future grandkids will absolutely love it when I do!
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Will the three cabinets be 60 degree pie wedges? If so, what are you planning for the remaining 180 degrees?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Matanuska wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 am Will the three cabinets be 60 degree pie wedges? If so, what are you planning for the remaining 180 degrees?
Guess not, just saw the pictures - interested to see how these will be arranged.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Pie wedges? No. But pie wedged spaces in between.

That is where "stuff" will go.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

As for the fit of the cabinets, I am planning on arranging them at 60 degree angles with a 180 degree "wedge" between each cabinet. I think I should be able to hang both floating tables on the sides of the cabinets. I will have to find efficient ways to use that space. I can build shelves into some of them, but I need to worry about the accumulation of sawdust in open areas. I think I can also bore through the top of the table to create "pockets" to hold extension tubes and supports.
Attachments
Lazy Susan 25.jpeg
Lazy Susan 25.jpeg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Lazy Susan 23.jpeg
Lazy Susan 23.jpeg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 678 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!