Great Idea or Just Madness...

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

Re: Great Idea or Just Madness...

Post by tfrayne »

I've been away from this project for a bit, but now I am back on it. I decided the two table tops I made were too thin and not wide enough (at 39 3/4".)

I am currently doing the glue up of the second set. They are about 1 1/2" by 44". I had been having problems with my Bosch router on the last set, and it turned out to be the speed control. I got that fixed and cut out the first top. I wasn't overly pleased with the top itself, as it required a good deal of hand planing to flatten it. My glue game needs work....

For the second one, I decided to make a pair of clamping cauls. Also, using 5 biscuits per joint. Making these two changes has greatly improved things.

I also have the octagon shaped torsion box that will be the base laid out.

In the midst of all this, the restoration of the greenie continues. Almost done painting the headstock. When it goes back together it will sport a 1 1/8hp motor, poly v drive and two bearing quill.
Attachments
Lazy Susan 12.jpeg
Lazy Susan 12.jpeg (93.22 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Lazy Susan 13.jpeg
Lazy Susan 13.jpeg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Lazy Susan 14.jpeg
Lazy Susan 14.jpeg (58.04 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
lastdigitofpi
Bronze Member

Post by lastdigitofpi »

For the Lazy Susan hardware, Many year ago I built a Lazy Susan for a cupboard. I used some small castors to support the base. It worked well. You will need to obtain ones with a heavier load rating and be careful of the orientation. I also had a spindle in the middle to keep everything in position.
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Yes, the whole assembly will be on casters. I think it may be overkill, but I am planning an octagon base torsion box, with six casters on each corner of the octagon, and one in the center.

I have the frame of the octagon built and today I added splines to the joints to strengthen them. Had to make a 30 degree jig for that. I wanted to cut them on my SS, but I had a height concern and ended up using my Dewalt job site saw. The splines are glued up and tomorrow I will trim them.

The octagon is based on a 46" circle, so it will extend one inch past the rest of the assembly. I thought that would be a good compromise between stability and the trip hazard of extending the base too far.
Attachments
Lazy Susan 16.jpeg
Lazy Susan 16.jpeg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Lazy Susan 15.jpeg
Lazy Susan 15.jpeg (83.37 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Almost finished with the octagon base. I decided against the 3/8" plywood I had on hand and will get a piece of 1/2" which I think will add some rigidity. I did pick up the casters and will work on getting the base finished this weekend. For the first time in a while, I feel like I'm making progress.

My current plan is to glue up four cedar 4x4s and turn them on the lathe for the center spindle, making it about 7-8 inches in diameter with a 1/2" tenon on each end set at 6".

But I am rather new to wood turning and I am open to suggestions about which kind of wood to use. I have a faceplate for the Mk V and a live center.
Attachments
Lazy Susan 17.jpeg
Lazy Susan 17.jpeg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Lazy Susan 18.jpeg
Lazy Susan 18.jpeg (65.89 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Wow! Nicely done! And points for spelling "caster" correctly. ;-)
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

tfrayne wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:31 pm Almost finished with the octagon base.
Well, that's the worst octagon I've even seen. But it is one of the best hexagons I've ever seen! ;)
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

hexagon, yes. thats what I meant!
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:06 pm
tfrayne wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:31 pm Almost finished with the octagon base.
Well, that's the worst octagon I've even seen. But it is one of the best hexagons I've ever seen! ;)
:D Yes tfrayne said in an earlier post...

"Yes, the whole assembly will be on casters. I think it may be overkill, but I am planning an octagon base torsion box, with six casters on each corner of the octagon, and one in the center."

My brain went "huh" but I moved on without realizing what was wrong.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

tfrayne wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:31 pm My current plan is to glue up four cedar 4x4s and turn them on the lathe for the center spindle, making it about 7-8 inches in diameter with a 1/2" tenon on each end set at 6".
This plan got me wondering... When lumber prices went crazy, cedar seemed to be about the worst of it. A cedar 4" X 4" X 8' in my area at the local HD is now a tick under $40. For one. Which is better than it was but still pretty high. Personally, I'd have to have a pretty compelling reason to choose cedar at this price for anything. For comparison, the same dimension Douglas Fir is $13 at the same store.

- David
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

I used cedar for posts on my outfeed/assembly table and it seemed dry and easy to work with. I am worried about big box store 4x4 lumber being wet. I am open to suggestions, as that will be the next phase on this project. I checked lumber prices just now and $40 is correct in my area also. Although, there is a small lumber yard nearby that specializes in cedar so I might check them next.

But I am not committed to cedar. I am just looking for an easy to turn species that I can laminate to get a 7-8" diameter spindle.

This weekend I got the HEXAGON torsion box built, test mounted casters and test mounted the bottom table, base and Lazy Susan hardware.

I drilled the holes for mounting slightly oversized to allow a bit of adjustment as needed. So far I am satisfied with the way it spins.
Attachments
Lazy Susan 21.jpeg
Lazy Susan 21.jpeg (72.77 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Lazy Susan 20.jpeg
Lazy Susan 20.jpeg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!