Baking center

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Baking center

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have a small galley kitchen in my house so I have been working on a new cabinet similar to a Hoosier Cupboard. When this 6 ft cabinet is completed, I will have about doubled the countertop work space available. The counter work height will be a couple of inches higher than traditional counter height but my husband requested it be a few inches taller and I actually prefer a higher work surface as well. My husband wants it to be free standing and movable even if it does not get moved vary often. I found some leveling casters that I think will work. My husband picked up a sheet of plywood for the base cabinet and a birch butcher block counter top for me to use for it. Just pine plywood but it should work fine for the cabinet. I have been staining and finishing all the pieces before assembly so far. Since the base is a long piece of plywood, I have put a grid of support pieces on the underside to help prevent any warping or sagging. Not sure how well it will work but only time can tell.

Dados and groves cut for dividers and back.  Stain and finish applied.
Dados and groves cut for dividers and back. Stain and finish applied.
20230413_171303.jpg (242.73 KiB) Viewed 12612 times
Grid supports and casters installed.
Grid supports and casters installed.
20230525_093910.jpg (320.61 KiB) Viewed 12612 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Re: Baking center

Post by larryhrockisland »

If you glue and screw another piece of plywood to the three long runners would that create a torsion box effect?
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

larryhrockisland wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:22 am If you glue and screw another piece of plywood to the three long runners would that create a torsion box effect?
I have thought about that. The ends of this piece sit in dados on the upright ends and I want to use pocket hole screws to act as clamps in the middle. This will require taking out the end cross pieces and then reinstalling them. I am also using screws up into the dividers to help clamp the middle of them into their dados. I could install the a bottom piece after that. I am just not sure how much the bottom piece of plywood would help.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Those look like the same leveling casters I used on my table saw dolly. Very heavy duty. I didn't have the same constraints as you so I used a couple of pieces of heavy aluminum angle for reinforcement because it was easy to do and inexpensive since I already had the angle.

Adding a piece of plywood to the bottom will make it a little stronger for this purpose, but the cross pieces you have are already stabilizing the longer runs. Just a layer of 3/8" plywood on the bottom would inexpensively add some more strength and remove areas for dust and dirt and crawling things to hide underneath.

Hope you follow up on the build. I would like things to work out to make a kitchen island on wheels like that. Be interesting to see how this goes.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I probably will add the piece of plywood to the bottom but it will have to wait until I purchase a piece for it. In the meanwhile, I have gotten the major parts together.
Dividers glued and clamped in place, screws still need to be installed.
Dividers glued and clamped in place, screws still need to be installed.
20230526_121700.jpg (239.21 KiB) Viewed 12533 times
Carcass assembled and underside of top finish curing.
Carcass assembled and underside of top finish curing.
rotate-optimized-image(2).png (2.15 MiB) Viewed 12533 times
Top finished.
Top finished.
optimized-image(3).png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 12533 times
Put a sheet of resin paper over the top to protect it as the only place I have to store it safely is on top of the carcass base.
Adjustable shelves finished and appliance lift installed.
Adjustable shelves finished and appliance lift installed.
optimized-image(4).png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 12533 times
Instead of just a shelf for the lift assist for the mixer to sit on, I want a pull out shelf to set things on when using some of the Kitchenaid attachments as some of them require items under them in front of the mixer. I am also thinking about putting a couple of dowels behind the mixer to store the different accessories like the dough hook or whisk when not in use.

Now to get the back installed and the top fastened down. Then I can start thinking about the drawers above the adjustable shelves and doors. The mixer is too tall for a drawer to fit above it. Hopefully I can also get my husband to decide on a type of wood for the front edge banding, drawer fronts and doors.
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Great idea for the mixer with that easy lift! I didn't even consider taking it off the counter because I don't want to have to pick it up. Do lift brackets lock in the upright position? I'm already looking at sliding shelves for the kitchen cabinets so I might incorporate one of those immediately and eventually on the island I'm thinking about.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

edma194 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:36 pm Great idea for the mixer with that easy lift! I didn't even consider taking it off the counter because I don't want to have to pick it up. Do lift brackets lock in the upright position? I'm already looking at sliding shelves for the kitchen cabinets so I might incorporate one of those immediately and eventually on the island I'm thinking about.
I agree the mixer is heavy when moving it around and with our limited counter space, it is stored else where. Which means that it only gets pulled out once in a great while. I am hoping that with the lift it will be used more often.

Yes the lift locks into the upright position. There are a few different manufacturers of them with some differences. This one has a lock that clicks once to lock, pick it up again until it clicks to unlock and lower it while other manufactures have a lock that you have to manually release. Some versions even has a soft close feature. https://www.amazon.com/Rev-Shelf-Heavy- ... 7e17e03685 This is the cheapest version. https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Technology- ... 7e17e03685 Depending on how it ends up working, I may see if I can add the soft close feature from a different manufacturer to it or replacing it with a different brand. There are different size requirements for the cabinet it can go in based on manufacturer and on what size appliance is being placed on it. My husband has a 6 qt Kitchenaid making it a taller sized appliance so I can not put a drawer above it. If you do decide to get one, be aware that the springs are a pain to install. My husband installed the springs on this one and ended up using a pair of vice grips.
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Brenda,

It is looking great so far. Nice work. I like the lift assist for the mixer.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I Installed the slides for the drawers then got the back installed and the top fastened down. Hubby finally picked a board that I had laying around for the front edge banding and drawer fronts. It is just short of 8 ft long and about 12 inches wide. I believe it is ash but it may be oak. I have trouble telling the difference between them. I should have enough in this one board for 3 drawer fronts (about 6 x 18 inches each) and the banding. I should be able to work around the knots as I only need two long banding pieced of about 6 ft and the rest of the banding will be less than 3 ft.
Filled the knots with casting epoxy to help stabilize them before cutting and thicknessing.
Filled the knots with casting epoxy to help stabilize them before cutting and thicknessing.
20230624_181501.jpg (162.75 KiB) Viewed 12420 times
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I finished putting the edge banding on the baking center. I put a thinned coat of amber shellac on the banding. Now I just need to decide if I want to put lacquer or spar urethane on the banding. I used spar urethane on the shelves for durability and lacquer on the case so I am thinking about doing that again. I want to complete the finish on the top piece of banding for the appliance lift before installing it as there is a handle that will be attached to it to aid in the lifting.
Edge banding installed.
Edge banding installed.
20230705_170536.jpg (269 KiB) Viewed 12305 times
Amber shellac applied.
Amber shellac applied.
20230706_110919.jpg (254.08 KiB) Viewed 12305 times
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router