Baking center

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Baking center

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Got the drawer fronts done and installed. I had enough wood between the knots on the board to use and run the grain in a continuous pattern. Now to get the floating trays made for each drawer. I finally got hubby to agree to doors on the base unit but I will need to get more of the ash for the doors before I can make them. I need to figure out what I want to use for the mixer extension shelf, maybe some maple or birch to match the countertop. I also need to figure out the shelving unit that will sit on top of this unit. The shelves will sit on the countertop with metal dowels to prevent movement. This is so that the shelves can be removed when the piece needs to be moved. I am thinking the shelves will be about 10-12" deep and have three uprights about 48" high with the uprights aligned with the end and middle uprights on the base unit. The fixed bottom shelves should be about 18-20" above the counter top, two floating shelves on each side and a top piece that spans the entire unit. I have some 1/4" MDF flooring left that I am thinking about gluing together to make the back panels for the shelves. This should make them imitate open upper cabinets. The next question is to figure out what to make them out of. While ash would be preferred, I think it would make the unit too heavy. Maybe pine with ash banding similar to the plywood base. Any ideas?
20230824_093945.jpg
20230824_093945.jpg (272.85 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Since I was setting up to do more grape juice, I figured I would take a picture of the appliance lift and board in use. Just a few more grapes, apples and pears to put up then I can get back to woodworking.
20231016_085514.jpg
20231016_085514.jpg (235.63 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Very, very, very nice!!! :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Impressive. I love that extra pull out shelf!
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Oooh, that is spectacular! I like the extra pull out shelf, too. I also like the little moulding detail on the side of the shelf that the mixer sits on.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rcsaylor
Silver Member

Post by rcsaylor »

I love it! Great job. Thank you for posting.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I like the mini stool with two short legs as well as the pull out shelf !

A good example of solving unanticipated 'problems

You rock girl!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

When I was looking at getting the appliance lift, I saw all kind of pictures of just a solid shelf used to hold the mixer. I could not figure out how they could use any of the attachments without moving the mixer. The pull out shelf really comes in handy when using the attachments. I believe the fruit strainer is the one that sticks out the furthest from the mixer. The little stool was needed to hold the bowl level while bridging the lift handle and the transition between lift shelf and pull out shelf. While I have not used all the attachments for the mixer, the pull out shelf has been useful with all of them that I have used but I do not know if I will need the little stool with any of the others. I know my husband questioned the addition of the pull out shelf before he saw this set up so figured others would like to see what I was going for as well.
algale wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:59 pm I also like the little moulding detail on the side of the shelf that the mixer sits on.
I am not sure what moulding detail you are talking about as there is no moulding on the sides of the shelf. The lines are the edges of the plywood with a small 1" piece doweled between the top and bottom to form the pocket for the pull out shelf.

The pull out shelf and the top of the little stool are a piece of soft maple that I had. I think it color matches the birch top fairly well after finishing to tie them together. Hopefully I can get back to woodworking soon to get the doors done and the selves for the top.
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Brenda,

It looks really good. I like the clever use of storage space for the mixer attachments (whisks and beaters) behind the mixer that you did. I don't have the juicer, but I really like the PTO (power take off) option on Kitchenaid professional mixers. I love mine and use it almost everyday. The cheese grater and meat grinder are wonderful attachments and I use them often. IF you haven't considered them, I just wanted to give my recommendation for these attachments. Hope you get A LOT of use out of it now that it is compete. :)

P.S. In case it isn't obvious, I'll point it out that a Kitchenaid Professional Mixer is like a Shopsmith in the kitchen; both have SPT's!!! That PTO option is incredible. With it and a Kitchenaid Food Processor you can prep almost everything in the kitchen more efficiently! :D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

[quote=RFGuy post_id=311694 time=1697558609 user_id=66724
P.S. In case it isn't obvious, I'll point it out that a Kitchenaid Professional Mixer is like a Shopsmith in the kitchen; both have SPT's!!! That PTO option is incredible. With it and a Kitchenaid Food Processor you can prep almost everything in the kitchen more efficiently! :D
[/quote]

Great point. It explains why I love my KitchenAid mixer. I hope I don't end up collecting these things, not enough room in my kitchen.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER