Johnson Paste Wax

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Johnson Paste Wax

Post by Thomschuck »

My Fellow Geniuses,
Please read every word of this. I bought (2) Two cans of new JPW on eBay. I paid $100.00 plus free shipping. $50.00 bucks a can. I was planning on giving one can to a friend but he declined. I need to sell off a can so I can buy stock for turning. I came up with a Grand Idea. Please understand this is NOT about making money. To all you folks on the forum I make the following offer. Minimum Bid is $20.00 bucks plus a flat Shipping fee of $12.50. I think thats a really good deal looking at what others are selling it for on eBay. When I have multiple offers I am going to put all your names in a hat. Mix them up and then pull out (1) name. I will then pull out a second name as a back up. Sound good? If by chance I hit $50.00 bucks the over $50.00 bucks will be donated to MDA Portland. (Muscular Dystrophy Association). Yes! I will guarantee you an official MDA donation receipt. Yes I have photos but dont know how to post them up. If I can figure it out I will post them up. How does this sound so far? I also had the can sealed in a freezer Vacuum Seal bag. When I received the cans I opened the cans to inspect the wax. If you are the lucky winner the only marks on the wax is from my fingers. I hope this is ok with the forum? I just want to pass the wax onto someone who loves the stuff like I do. I have never used anything except JPW and I am to beat up to think about switching. So there you have it. Next Sunday June 25th is the cutoff. Good Luck!
Your Ever So Frendly Shopsmith Pal,
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon
Attachments
IMG_3808.jpeg
IMG_3808.jpeg (575.07 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
IMG_3802.jpeg
IMG_3802.jpeg (546.15 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Re: Johnson Paste Wax

Post by Thomschuck »

I tried to post up more or different photos of the open can. It did not work. Let me know and I can send you additional photos. I hope I am in bounds with the Forum. I usually find myself outside the lines.
Regards,
Thom Schuck
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I don't quite understand the infatuation with Johnson's wax. When I needed wax for my Shopsmith, I ordered a can from Shopsmith themselves. Shopsmith sent me a can of Trewax. That was over 30 years ago so I've forgotten what I paid for it, but I see Ace Hardware still sells it for $13. It is the only kind of wax I've used on my Shopsmith all these years so I can't compare Johnson's with Trewax, but I can't see that one is better than the other.
If people want to pay more for the name, so be it, but if you simply want to get the job done, you don't need Johnson's wax.
Mechanizoid
Silver Member

Post by Mechanizoid »

I agree with garys on this one... I got my Shopsmith this year, so JPW was already history when I started learning how to maintain it. I use a can of Minwax from the local Ace. Gets the job done.

Other than as a nostalgia thing I don't see any point in stressing using Johnson's vs any other brand name of paste wax.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I have a an 8 year old can of Minwax Paste Wax which came from Shopsmith with the help kit 515325 Shopsmith Help Kit and is still shown in the picture in the product catalog. Other than the slightly stronger smell of Johnson's, they are indistinguishable from one another functionally. I have both in the shop and grab whichever can is closest when I need it. If there is an advantage of one over another, it escapes me

At the moment, the Menards near me has 6, 1 pound cans of the Minwax in stock for 14.98 a can less the interminable Menards 11% rebate.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I don't understand the obsession with JPW I can not imagine why anyone would pay $50 for a can of JPW when Tree wax or Minwax is available for around $15. SS has not provided JPW with the machine for over 30 years. When I bought my machine new in 1994 it came with a can of Tree wax. I still have 1/2 can left and it works fine.

Does anyone remember when SS actually sold JPW if ever?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"Does anyone remember when SS actually sold JPW if ever?"

YES
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I think it is more akin to the Coke vs. Pepsi or Bud vs. Coors or Mustang vs. Camaro, etc., etc. debates. It is ALL personal preference. Shopsmith got me onto JPW and I know there are equal products out there, but sometimes one wants to stick with what one knows and perhaps support brands one loves. That was the case for me. I reported previously on how I secured a new can of JPW online a while back. I paid a slightly elevated price for it because it was out of manufacture, but nothing like $50/can. Keep in mind the OP was sharing their experience and wanting to support a charity by auctioning a can off to anyone who wants it on this thread.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Picked up a couple cans right after it became scarce at hardware store. 50 bucks a can is quite a bit. Wonder why it’s discontinued?
I may be old but I’m slow
https://www.schmuckatellico.com/
https://scshiftknob.com
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It is probably just a simple problem of supply and demand. With Trewax, Minnwax, and Johnson's all making similar products, the demand just doesn't justify 3 different companies making this product. If you don't sell much of a product, it makes dollars sense to stop producing it.