Carriage Stop Ring for Mk V 500

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

Carriage Stop Ring for Mk V 500

Post by tfrayne »

I recently picked up a 1956 or 1957 greenie. It's not in horrible shape, but needs some work. One possible issue I have is the Carriage Stop Ring.

It is intact with no cracks. I cleaned and waxed it. However, it barely slides across the way tubes. I have gotten both the headstock and the carriage to slide properly, but this darned ring will not move without moderate pressure on it.

I thought the best thing to do was to replace it. On the SS website, it is part #516666. When I click on it, it says ITEM NOT FOUND. So it looks like SS no longer carries this part.

Looking for suggestions on how to best proceed with what I've got. Is it supposed to slide smoothly or is the resistance I feel normal. If not, should I lightly sand the inside to allow it to slide smoothly?
Attachments
greenie 02.jpeg
greenie 02.jpeg (81.42 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Carriage Stop Ring for Mk V 500

Post by JPG »

sand the inside. OR cut a piece of pvc pipe 3/8"(?) long, cut out about a fourth of it and slip it onto the way tube,
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

The carriage on my 500 is from an old Greenie, and it is threaded on the side facing the headstock for a stop bolt which does the same job the spacer ring does. The stop bolt is adjusted to provide the correct spacing, then locked down with a nut.
Stop Bolt Photo.jpg
Stop Bolt Photo.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Maybe your old carriage is threaded also?
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Loosen the way tubes so that they can be rotated. Of they are belt ever so slightly, sometimes this will allow the cariage and headstock to side end to end much more easily. Don't fotget to resecure the way tumes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:53 am Loosen the way tubes so that they can be rotated. If they are bent ever so slightly, sometimes this will allow the carriage and headstock to side end to end much more easily. Don't fotget to resecure the way tumes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The part is #516667 - $4.95. It's available. I use PVC pipe though. It can be split and snapped over a way tube with out removing it or the headstock.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

I think lightly sanding and using it will be the best option, along with "tuning" the way tubes. After all, all it needs to do is provide proper spacing between the carriage and the headstock. The website says part 516667 is for Mk V 510 and up. The carriage stop ring on my 520 looks very different and I don't think they are compatible.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I see now. You're looking for the 500 part that has a different carriage. Sorry, should have realized that right away. If the one you have doesn't move on your tubes maybe it's not the original. I think a piece of PVC pipe is the simplest solution. I also like what Ed from Idaho did with a bolt because it could allow very fine adjustment. However, let me look and see if I have an 500 ring somewhere.

It would be great to have 1-3/4" adjustable stop collars to use for the fine adjustments. I looked into that with a company that may have provided the adjustable smaller diameter stop collars Shopsmith sells. It would require a custom production run amounting to many, many $$$$$. I wonder if some lower cost threaded tubes with mating internal and external threads exist to make something like that myself.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

By October of 1956 they started using the Carriage Stop Collar as opposed to the headless screw and jam nut on earlier Mark 5's. I agree if it is that tight on the Way Tubes it probably not original. Your best bet is to make one from some plastic pipe.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I found one. I think it's the right one, it's about 3/8" height sitting flat. I could sell it for $1000 on eBay but I'm lazy and that sounds like too much work. However, if you really want an original part you can PM me your address I'll mail it to you.
Ed from Rhode Island