Wax?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

baddlad
Gold Member

Wax?

Post by baddlad »

What kind of Wax are they using to wax the bars and the table tops?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Johnson orginal paste wax
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Is there something like a "complete idiot's guide" to using that stuff? I waxed my table saw, hand held circular saw, and hand held jigsaw with it this past weekend and I didn't really notice any difference. I followed the directions on the can. My table saw is almost a year old. The circular saw and jigsaw are about 9 years old. Maybe my expectations weren't realistic? I was expecting that really slick smooth feeling like when you wax a car. But the before and after didn't feel any different. So I guess I'm a complete idiot and need some kind of guide!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

It would be my guess that both the table saw and hand held unit soaked up the wax. If I remember correctly, SS recommends a couple of coats on a bare/new table in order to achieve a waxed surface. Maybe if the tables have not been waxed for quite a while, it's about the same thing as never being waxed.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Chuck's right with this one. In additon, if the table is cast iron, which may be the case with your jigsaw, more than one coat is needed. One thing I noticed is that the wax really needs to be buffed out to get that slick feeling you're after.
BPR
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ryanbp01 wrote:Chuck's right with this one. In additon, if the table is cast iron, which may be the case with your jigsaw, more than one coat is needed. One thing I noticed is that the wax really needs to be buffed out to get that slick feeling you're after.
BPR
Giving it time to have the solvent 'dry/evaporate' helps. If buffed too soon, you are removing rather than polishing.:) Also if the table is like the strip sander table(roughly ground aluminum surface) One coat does not come even close!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

None of them had been waxed before. The table saw table is aluminum (a small Hitachi 10" saw I got for Father's Day last year before discovering the wonders and joy of the Shopsmith). The jigsaw is one of the small handheld things and has the same kind of surface as the circular saw (powdercoated steel, maybe?).

So they probably did soak the wax up and need another coat or three. I thought I let it dry long enough. But everything I know about waxing, I learned from Mr. Miyagi. "Wax on. Wax off." :D
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

Important after you apply the wax to buff it completely off whatever you are putting it on. AFter waxing tubes, only wiping it off will leave residue and not feel glass-smooth. Easy to see as you are buffing as the shine really picks up once the wax is buffed off.
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Also don't apply too much. Just makes it harder to buff. I have been using the same can of wax for 10 years and I am about half way through the can.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

cincinnati wrote:Also don't apply too much. Just makes it harder to buff. I have been using the same can of wax for 10 years and I am about half way through the can.
I guess that would mean the extra can I have is probably another "life time supply". I too have wax left in my first can which was given to me by the guy, at the Dallas Fair, who sold me my Mark V and SPT.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.