Looking for project ideas

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Matanuska
Gold Member

Looking for project ideas

Post by Matanuska »

I've got a big stack of 100 year old slow growth pine 1x4's, 2x4's, and 2x6's in 8 to 14 foot lengths that I salvaged when we tore down and replaced our 1920's vintage detached garage. It's pretty cool wood - it has the closely spaced growth rings and sharp corners of lumber of that era. It's currently taking up quite a bit of space in the new garage and I'm looking for project ideas to use it up quickly. I've made a couple of cornhole game sets and the scrap wood bin below out of some of the 1x4's, but I'm running out of ideas.

Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_1771.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpeg (522.19 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for project ideas

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Do you have a good woodworking bench? I have a soft spot for the Moravian style, and that old-growth pine sounds perfect for one.

86565AB3-73D4-482E-9BF2-296DEE78DBC3.jpeg
86565AB3-73D4-482E-9BF2-296DEE78DBC3.jpeg (141.83 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Book or storage shelves, small boxes, desk organizers and display cases come to mind. An apothecary storage unit for small fasteners. There are many kids toys that can be made with smaller pieces as well. When my kids were little I made a chalk table for them with a cover so they could do other crafts without damaging the chalk board paint. Storage chests for toys, blankets, or other things.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:11 pm Do you have a good woodworking bench? I have a soft spot for the Moravian style, and that old-growth pine sounds perfect for one.
That's a really good looking bench - nice hardware too. I'm still using the workbench I built as my first SS project back in 1985. Not nearly as pretty as yours but it still works well for me. I've thought about building a new one, but then I'd have to figure out what to do with the old one!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=60258
Attachments
Workbench.jpg
Workbench.jpg (456.23 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

thunderbirdbat wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:56 pm Book or storage shelves, small boxes, desk organizers and display cases come to mind. An apothecary storage unit for small fasteners. There are many kids toys that can be made with smaller pieces as well. When my kids were little I made a chalk table for them with a cover so they could do other crafts without damaging the chalk board paint. Storage chests for toys, blankets, or other things.
All good ideas Brenda, thanks. A large storage chest or two would help put a small dent in my stock pile. I had also thought about building some planters. I know those are usually built of outdoor woods like cedar or redwood, but this old pine is so dense and hard it would probably stand up to the weather for quite awhile.

Steve
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Just my opinion, but if I had old growth wood I would not use it for anything like a planter which will destroy the wood over time. There is a very limited supply of old growth wood, It is precious and it should be preserved.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

jsburger wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:19 pm Just my opinion, but if I had old growth wood I would not use it for anything like a planter which will destroy the wood over time. There is a very limited supply of old growth wood, It is precious and it should be preserved.
John - Yes, we're on the same page, that's why I salvaged it rather than letting the contractor haul it off. Unfortunately I've got so much of it I'm afraid it may end up as an unappreciated inheritance for our non-woodworking kids before I manage to get it used up - hence the request for wood-intensive project ideas.

If I could think of a craft fair product I could knock out fairly quickly I might be able to work my way through the 1x4's before too long. They contain a lot of nail holes, but still look nice after surface planing, so something with a rustic look. Not really the best wood for cutting boards but given its hardness and density I might try one, maybe an end grain, to see if it holds up. The much cleaner 2x4's and 2x6's are the real prize and will probably end up going into desks, tables, chests or some other larger pieces of furniture. One interesting note - the wood gives off a sweet caramel-like odor when it's worked.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

" it may end up as an unappreciated inheritance for our non-woodworking kids before I manage to get it used up"

I totally get that. Maybe you can find an appreciative wood worker in the area to give the left overs to when the time comes.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Matanuska wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:32 pm
BuckeyeDennis wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:11 pm Do you have a good woodworking bench? I have a soft spot for the Moravian style, and that old-growth pine sounds perfect for one.
That's a really good looking bench - nice hardware too. I'm still using the workbench I built as my first SS project back in 1985. Not nearly as pretty as yours but it still works well for me. I've thought about building a new one, but then I'd have to figure out what to do with the old one!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=60258
I wish that was my Moravian workbench in the photo! It’s on my bucket list, but not yet at the top. Meanwhile, I curse myself every time I need to handplane something without a decent hand-tool bench. Your 1985 bench would come in mighty handy in my shop (if I could only find the space for it).
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I have seen very nice chairs and stools made from long straight grain pine like that. Pine is lightweight for it's strength and the grain is easy to bring out and very decorative. I think at least try to make a nice shop stool or step stool with what you have.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER