Mystery Spring

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CreekWood
Gold Member

Mystery Spring

Post by CreekWood »

I'm upgrading my 500 to a 520 via eBay parts. Bought three items from one seller who did an amazing job of packing the main table, extension table floaters, rails (removed from tables), fence, upper and lower saw guards, tubes and legs all into one box. All, plus one little spring that doesn't seem to go with anything. Oh, I also got a super clean carriage from the same vendor, but it was in a different box.

Is this spring just a stowaway?
Attachments
PXL_20230716_024247212.jpg
PXL_20230716_024247212.jpg (231.26 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mystery Spring

Post by algale »

Just a guess here, but I believe this is part of the knob assemblies under the 520 rails that screw into the extension tubes when using floating tables (or connecting the main table to the extension table). IIRC, the knobs go through a spring like this before it is screwed into the rail. I assume it is there to put a little tension on the knob when the tubes aren't in use in order to prevent the knob from rattling loose when the machine is in operation.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If so, there should be one spring fer each knob. I believe those springs are cone shaped and s/b captive on the knob shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The trunnion (table tilt) locks have two springs, both item 157. I don't have one handy to compare. The carriage wedge lock mechanism is another possibility IIRC.

- David
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

DLB wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:46 am The trunnion (table tilt) locks have two springs, both item 157. I don't have one handy to compare. The carriage wedge lock mechanism is another possibility IIRC.

- David
You state an iyem number (157). Where do you find that in today's online catalog.

I can not find part numbers for small hardware items (nuts, bolts, washers, set screws, etc).

What is the part number for item 157.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

BigSky wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:56 pm
DLB wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:46 am The trunnion (table tilt) locks have two springs, both item 157. I don't have one handy to compare. The carriage wedge lock mechanism is another possibility IIRC.

- David
You state an iyem number (157). Where do you find that in today's online catalog.
Under Service Parts there are diagrams and parts lists for many, but not all, assemblies. Go to the SS home page and hover on Products, it should pop up a menu that includes Service Parts. In this case I click on "Service Parts," takes me to another page where I click on "MARK 7 / Mark V..." That brings up a table and I look for Mark V Model 520 and Main Table. There are links for the diagram and parts list. Sometimes I can click on the Item Number in the diagram and get the PN, other times that doesn't work so I go to the parts list.

I can not find part numbers for small hardware items (nuts, bolts, washers, set screws, etc).
See above. If clicking on the item number doesn't get you a PN and price, just go to the Parts List for the same assembly.

- David
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

DLB wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:42 pm

- David
Under Service Parts there are diagrams and parts lists for many, but not all, assemblies. Go to the SS home page and hover on Products, it should pop up a menu that includes Service Parts. In this case I click on "Service Parts," takes me to another page where I click on "MARK 7 / Mark V..." That brings up a table and I look for Mark V Model 520 and Main Table. There are links for the diagram and parts list. Sometimes I can click on the Item Number in the diagram and get the PN, other times that doesn't work so I go to the parts list.

See above. If clicking on the item number doesn't get you a PN and price, just go to the Parts List for the same assembly.

- David

- David

Thank you. That helped A LOT. I've never seen those parts lists. I did not, however, find the part numbers for the knobs and springs that secure the table tubes to the rails.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

BigSky wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:49 pm Thank you. That helped A LOT. I've never seen those parts lists. I did not, however, find the part numbers for the knobs and springs that secure the table tubes to the rails.
I think those are Items 136 and 136a. They are not well drawn and not shown relative to the back rail, but the parts list shows four of each required for the main table.

ETA: Mine have cone shaped springs as jpg mentioned earlier in the thread, but the springs are not captive. And my knobs are a mix of star type and knurled. I think if you buy from SS you get whatever they currently have, this has come up before.

- David
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

Thank you, David. It is the front trunnion wedge spring. The wedge was running around loose in the box, and I patted myself on the back too soon for figuring out what it was. I failed to spot the spring on the back end of that shaft. Missed it in the drawings too.
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

Man, I keep getting logged out when I attempt to post!
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw