Bandsaw speed

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Bandsaw speed

Post by Thomschuck »

Fellow Geniuses,
I just completed a round of adjustments on my bandsaw. Lubed the wheel and adjusted my blocks, that sort of thing. I have a like new SS 1/4” blade mounted up. What is a solid standard speed setting in a letter? I have mine set at “B”. It just seems like it is dragging or not getting up to speed. Cutting thru 8/4 poplar took forever. PI do need to locate a bearing that gives off a bit of noise. Not constant but there. What speed are you folks using on your 1/4” blade? Thank you much. When I am cutting my blade is coming in contact with the thrust bearing. But it spins freely and quietly.
Thom Schuck
Portland, OR
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw speed

Post by garys »

I use A or B for the bandsaw. The slower, the better it seems to work for me. However, 8/4 wood is too much for a 1/4" blade. I use either a 1/2" or 5/8" blade for that heavy work. The larger resawing blades cut fast on oak or other hardwoods.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The SS charts, which is the speed you'd get on a PowerPro if you followed the menu system to select, says 950 RPM for a 1/4" blade in hardwood. Correlates with "C" on a conventional headstock. Since Poplar is only technically a hardwood, recommended for softwood is 1050 RPM which correlates with "D."

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

What is the tooth count (TPI) of your blade? It is more about the TPI for thick stock than the width. Think band saw boxes. You are cutting thick stock with sharp curves. A 1/2" or 5/8" blade will not do that. For straight line cuts you want a wide blade as in resawing. In 8/4 stock you want a TPI of 3 to no more than 6.

As an aside, the Timberwolf blade charts specify a thinner stock range for soft woods than for hard woods for the same blade. That is probably counter intuitive for most of us.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT