Removing scratches from 510/520 tables

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steverboss
Gold Member

Removing scratches from 510/520 tables

Post by steverboss »

I’ve got some 510 tables that have scratches in them and I’d like to refinish them by removing the scratches and then restoring to the original surface texture. I know that I’ve mentioned this before and everybody said NEVER sand the aluminum table tops, only use scotch bright pads & WD40. But that doesn’t work if you have scratches. The scotch bright pads only kind of polish the aluminum but won’t take out any scratches. What do you guys that have had this issue do? Start with 80 or 120 grit and block sand until the scratches are gone and then what do you follow up with to get that original finish? Thanks for any insight here would be much appreciated.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Removing scratches from 510/520 tables

Post by JPG »

The way I handle those 'scratches' is to simply ignore them. They detract little from normal functioning. i.e. tis cosmetic.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange