Brand New Used Delta/Homecraft Delta Shop

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Brand New Used Delta/Homecraft Delta Shop

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:34 pm I do not think leaking oil out the bottom was a design objective with a plews oiler cap /bronze bearing.
Here is the description from the docs. Maybe it leaks and after the fact they're saying "We did that on purpose". But I think they were talking about oil seeping out from the sides of the bushings.

lube1.jpg
lube1.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
lube2.jpg
lube2.jpg (207.68 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That leakage is a result of wear, not an intentional design.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:28 pm That leakage is a result of wear, not an intentional design.
Not following what you mean. It seems they mean that oil will leak from the faces of the bronze bearing (not absolutely sure, I wasn't planning on oiling it or running it to find out). That would be the result of no seals on the bearing faces, which is not surprising with bronze bearings. So it seems it would be the result of normal operation with a porous bronze bearing as the design intended. If I'm missing something about this please explain.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Coming soon, the drill press. I have to take new pictures, the ones I have are too dark to make out any detail and I'm busy drying out the basement today after a shocking morning deluge.

Some time later:

And here they are! And there's an interesting new feature in MS Paint too.

Here's the drill press in upright position. It's attached to a hinge that is bolted to the right side of the main table.

DRILL PRESS UPRIGHT2.jpg
DRILL PRESS UPRIGHT2.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

This pic shows it being tilted over with my son holding up the head. The long belts have to be detached from the main spindle first. The drill press head is held on to the top of the post using 2 bolts in slots allowing the head to move up and down to adjust belt tension in conjunction with the saw blade height control. You can see those bolts in the next picture where they at the bottom of the post in it's upside down storage position.

DRILL PRESS TILTED3.jpg
DRILL PRESS TILTED3.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

Here's the assembly in the down position. The drill press table has to be the right height on the post and swung to the left side so it doesn't hit the cabinet or the tilt control mechanism. There are stand-alone versions of this drill press that had the motor attached at the top like most drill presses do. Sometimes people think long belts are unreliable and inefficient but they are used in all sorts of machinery without high failure rates. They do cost more and create a hazard in this use where they are totally exposed.

DRILL PRESS DOWN.jpg
DRILL PRESS DOWN.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

I mentioned an interesting new feature in MS Paint. Now it allows background removal. It worked better than I would expect. Here's one with my son's arm removed, but part of his hand was still there. The drill press table and part of the post were removed too. It works better than I expected though.
Attachments
DRILL PRESS TILTED4.jpg
DRILL PRESS TILTED4.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
Last edited by edma194 on Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed from Rhode Island

CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

I'm using bronze bushings in my mini traditional bench build. I set that project aside for a month or so, and yesterday I noticed that oil is wicking out of those bushings into the walnut and maple wood of the moxon vise. Not sure what I'm going to use as a varnish now...or if it will take a varnish. I can picture that kind of bushing oozing oil all over a piece of shop equipment.
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think we have a different view of leaking. Obviously the presence of the oil cup suggests frequent addition of oil. I would describe the migration of the oil as seepage.

So my original statements are suspect and I have to agree in your context.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I guess we can't be clear if the result was intentional. Obviously, it was intentionally designed, but what result they intended is unclear. What I mean is that the design wasn't accidental, a drawing didn't just appear on some engineer's desk one day, but maybe they didn't realize how much leakage would result until they started using it.
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

edma194 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:40 am I guess we can't be clear if the result was intentional. Obviously, it was intentionally designed, but what result they intended is unclear. What I mean is that the design wasn't accidental, a drawing didn't just appear on some engineer's desk one day, but maybe they didn't realize how much leakage would result until they started using it.
We have to realize the year(s) the design took place in. Much improvement in bearing technology has occurred since. Ball bearings were less common then.(unsealed roller skate ball bearings excepted!). Today bronze bearings come 'pre-charged' with lubricant.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝