Woodpeckers Sharpening Jig

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers Sharpening Jig

Post by DLB »

I understand your frustration. Woodpeckers, like Shopsmith, has a non-transferable warranty. They could elect to extend coverage to you in the interests of customer relations, but if you are not the original purchaser the warranty doesn't apply. (I agree that in this case they should.) If the purchase is recent and you used a credit card, I'd recommend disputing the charge. If you bought through ebay or similar you should first try to work a refund through them and the seller, but don't let the deadline lapse.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Luthier83 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:24 pm Beyond that, I’m not an idiot.
You said you took channel locks to the knob on this "Woodpeckers" tool to tighten it more. That statement alone kinda contradicts the above - especially considering how much the tool costs. Continue the rant and the hate on this forum and see how long you last here.
Luthier83 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:56 pm I took a channel lock to the knob to squeeze it down as tight as I could and still it immediately rolled over from the rounded corners.
Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Luthier83
Silver Member

Post by Luthier83 »

Where did purchase it? A question that keeps being asked even though it’s irrelevant. From a re-seller on Amazon Marketplace. But because it was a re-seller and not from Amazon directly, obviously they can’t do anything. See, I can accept that from their point of view. I’m not unreasonable. And of course the reason I had to purchase from a previous buyer is because Woodpeckers themselves create that market for opportunists to purchase a bunch of One Time tools and sell them for a profit once the tool is retired. And as I’ve stated, that shouldn’t even matter. I bought a tool, the tool doesn’t work, I’m upset. “Where did you buy it, who owned it prior to you, what are you sharpening with it, how are you using it?”

None of this matters. It’s a genuine tool, it was purchased new, it’s literally a block of aluminum on two wheels. If the wheels were the problem, then maybe…you could question if they were swapped out by a previous owner or something like that. But the issue is literally the shape of the tool is not correct. It is clear that it is not mis-shaped from wear, abuse, or anything like that. The mfg even admitted that it must have been improperly cut from the factory. Therefor, they should replace it. They screwed it up, they should do the right thing and simply replace it. That’s all I was asking for, and they even agreed that they messed it up, so new/used/leased/consignment has zero to do with the problem at hand…but they won’t do anything because they don’t have to.

All these excuses people are giving, and scenarios….I understand the reasons why a company would implement a blanket policy regarding a non-transferable warranty. I understand all the different scams that COULD be pulled on different items. However, in this case, and all customer service issues should be reviewed on a case by case basis because all situations are unique and different, but in this case…they admitted that it is genuine, it was likely brand new when I bought it, and it is flawed. They admit that it looks like improper machining, and they admit that it left their facility that way. What else matters? If ten people owned it before me, or I bought from Danny Bonaducci off of eBay and it’s been beat to death….what else matters when they know they sent a non-conforming part out the door? The honest and decent thing to do is provide a tool that is NOT flawed when they have been paid for it. There is nothing more to ask. All of those questions have already been asked by their customer service team believe me. But there is no potential scam I could be pulling. Even if I was lying about everything. If it was my tool that I made, and I had been paid for it, but I didn’t cut it properly I would simply replace it no matter how many people owned it, where it was purchased from, I simply wouldn’t want my name attached to a poor quality tool. That would be in MY best interest, regardless of the customer’s interest. Snap-on doesn’t ask where you bought it if you bring them a broken wrench. You could put it in a hydraulic press and watch it shatter and they wouldn’t ask you a thing…you bring them the pieces, they hand you a new wrench. It’s not rocket science.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Luthier83 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:21 pm Where did purchase it? A question that keeps being asked even though it’s irrelevant. From a re-seller on Amazon Marketplace.
It is relevant because most of your complaint is about Woodpecker not replacing the tools and there's no reason they should when they don't know how it ended up in your hands. As already mentioned, this tool might have been replaced already, or was just a bad one from the lot. Quality control is Woodpecker's problem, but you aren't their customer so you can't expect to get a replacement from them. They may not even have any left. Your problem is with the Amazon reseller. You've really torn into Woodpecker and the quality of their products based on this one example, and it sounds like if you had purchased it new from them they'd send you a new one or refund your money.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Luthier83
Silver Member

Post by Luthier83 »

edma194 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:29 pm
Luthier83 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:21 pm Where did purchase it? A question that keeps being asked even though it’s irrelevant. From a re-seller on Amazon Marketplace.
It is relevant because most of your complaint is about Woodpecker not replacing the tools and there's no reason they should when they don't know how it ended up in your hands. As already mentioned, this tool might have been replaced already, or was just a bad one from the lot. Quality control is Woodpecker's problem, but you aren't their customer so you can't expect to get a replacement from them. They may not even have any left. Your problem is with the Amazon reseller. You've really torn into Woodpecker and the quality of their products based on this one example, and it sounds like if you had purchased it new from them they'd send you a new one or refund your money.
Once again, not reading and defending without question. I already stayed that they looked up the UPC and barcode, they confirmed it was genuine, they confirmed the date of sale to the original purchaser, etc. ALL OF THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AND ONCE AGAIN I WILL STATE THAT YOU DONT NEED TO KEEP GIVING ME SCENARIOS IN WHICH A COMPANY MIGHT ADOPT A POLICY FOR NON-TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY. JESUS I KNOW IT MIGHT BE AN ISSUE IN SOME CASES. WHAT I AM MAD ABOUT IS NOT ONLY ME, MYSELF, BUT ALSO THE MFG HAVE CONFIRMED THAT NONE OF THESE SCENARIOS APPLY IN THIS CASE. THERE IS NO RISK OF A SCAM, THE PART IS GENUINE, AND ITS ALMOST CERTAIN THAT IT LEFT THE FACTORY WITH THE FLAW IT CURRENTLY HAS. CAN WE PLEASE GET PAST THE WHOLE “YEAH BUT IF THIS HAPPENED OR THAT HAPPENED….IT DIDNT! NONE OF THOSE SCENARIOS HAPPENED HERE AND THEY HAVE ALL BEEN RULED OUT.

So then the question is…if they admit fault what are they going to do about it? Did you just say “there’s no reason they should” replace a tool that they even confirmed was their flaw? Wow. Yeah, silly me. Sorry I didn’t realize this was the Woodpeckers cult of undying loyalty, even if that means hating on a person giving their honest review of a company. By all means, continue their praise and blind faith in paying ridiculous prices for their “exceptional quality” which according to you…”they shouldn’t have to” stand behind their products because I didn’t purchase from them directly when it’s impossible because they discontinued the tool so you can’t do the thing that everyone keeps suggesting and especially when that has nothing to do with the issue and even mfg agrees with that statement but everyone else keeps arguing. You look like a fool defending them when EVEN THEY admit “yeah that’s totally our tool and that was totally our fault.”
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Luthier83 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:45 pm
Once again, not reading and defending without question. I already stayed that they looked up the UPC and barcode, they confirmed it was genuine, they confirmed the date of sale to the original purchaser, etc. ttHE
Then go complain to whoever sold it you. Woodpecker didn't. You have no idea how that tool got from the factory into their hands and neither does Woodpecker. You can't complain about the manufacturers tool quality for a tool with unknown provenance.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
Luthier83
Silver Member

Post by Luthier83 »

edma194 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:50 pm
Luthier83 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:45 pm
Once again, not reading and defending without question. I already stayed that they looked up the UPC and barcode, they confirmed it was genuine, they confirmed the date of sale to the original purchaser, etc. ttHE
Then go complain to whoever sold it you. Woodpecker didn't. You have no idea how that tool got from the factory into their hands and neither does Woodpecker. You can't complain about the manufacturers tool quality for a tool with unknown provenance.
Woodpeckers does know exactly who purchased it, and they know that I bought it unused from that person. They also know that it has nothing to do with the issue. They know, and admit, that the part was defective when it left the factory. That’s the whole point. I’m not mad at re-seller because the tool was flawed when he bought it and there was no way for him to know it was flawed when he didn’t even open it. He also stated no returns after 30 days and I didn’t use it immediately. And even when I did use it, I used it on plane blades first which didn’t exactly expose the problem. Everything they’re-seller did was honest at least. He didn’t know about something he didn’t even open, and he stated the return policy in his ad so he didn’t do anything wrong and neither did Amazon. Which is why I am not going after them because I’m an honest person!

I know I’m crazy but I expect the accountability to be on the party responsible for the flaw. Stupid huh? Everyone acts like who sold it to me should give me a refund but either people aren’t reading or else they messed up in the head because why should the re-seller be responsible for a defect he didn’t create or even know about, and why should he have to replace a tool after clearly stating his return policy? He is not the dishonest party here. Woodpeckers and their “exceptional quality” is the dishonest party. They even admit that it was their mistake, and that all other facts in this scenario don’t matter. They made a bad tool and they got paid very well for a product that is useless. That is not in dispute by either party. The complaint is that they simply don’t care. Yes, they state the warranty is non-transferable. However for all the reasons that is their policy, NONE of those reasons apply in this case and they even acknowledge that. They simply don’t care, and they refer to the policy regardless of the facts, they will not make it right because, even though that party had nothing to do with it, I purchased it from a middle man. Probably because they themselves create that market, with their “one time tool” program and they don’t like the fact that people resell their products because they don’t want them available to purchase at any time because it prevents impulse buying. Which is exactly what their one time tool program is designed to do. To provoke impulse purchasing from consumers out of fear of the tool not being available.
Luthier83
Silver Member

Post by Luthier83 »

This guy keeps blocking any of my replies after calling me stupid for proving a point with a tool that was already unusable. I am not an idiot for ruling out any excuse of not clamping the workpiece properly. Especially when the tool is otherwise worthless. If I had just taken a brand new tool that worked great and jerked on it with a channel lock then sure, I’m an idiot. But placing a towel in between the jaws of a channel lock so I could be sure the workpiece was clamped as tight as possible, only because nothing else is working, is not stupid.

What’s even more ridiculous though is the threat of being kicked off of this forum for simply sharing my experience with this company’s tool, and their handling of the issue afterwards. Just because you believe all the hype and are a victim of their marketing and bullshit, and you are in denial that they made a tool out of you as much as me, doesn’t give you the right to threaten or impose on my free speech or fair market review practices. I did not lie, I did not give any misleading facts or information, I provided photos and gave a true account of the exchange between me and a company. What is wrong with that?

Just because it’s a company you seem to have a hard on for, and think that any negative experience anyone has with that company is “bashing” then just shows how small and narrow minded your world view is. You threaten to silence anything you don’t like and you think I deserve to be expelled from this forum than by all means I’ll leave on my own accord. I don’t want to be a part of bullying or threatening just because I spoke the truth and someone else can’t handle that truth. Sorry if I offended anyone by simply sharing an experience I had with a company that I feel is truly unworthy of all this hard core defense and dedication but the truth shouldn’t ever offend anyone and the fact that it clearly has…shows how messed up this world really is. The only thing I feel stupid about is thinking that it’s ok to speak the truth or that people might want to know before making a large purchase, how this company views its quality or craftsmanship. Especially when they charge way more for their products while claiming their “one-time tool” program adds value to the customer and their “exceptional quality” justifies their prices. Good luck with Adolf running the forum.
Attachments
IMG_2855.jpeg
IMG_2855.jpeg (225.31 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

I think I missed it in the original post-- what kind of Shopsmith do you have or are looking for?
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Luthier83 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:21 pm
They know, and admit, that the part was defective when it left the factory.
Unless you sent it to them for inspection that statement is not credible. I'm sure they know the design process for imported knock-offs. Someone will take an original part and send it overseas to be duplicated exactly, including serial numbers, UPC codes, and duplicates of the packaging. There's no reason they would consider it to be a part that they made without examining it.

So did you send the tool to them for examination?

Finally, I don't like the way you've responded to my posts but I can let that slide. I won't let slide the way you've responded to my friends here on the Shopsmith Forum and I suggest you change your tone.
Ed from Rhode Island