Model "ER"? Not "10E", not "10ER", not "E"

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

docmirror
Gold Member

Model "ER"? Not "10E", not "10ER", not "E"

Post by docmirror »

I came across this machine the other day, and was wondering where it fits in the grand scheme of things. The round data plate says "Model ER Serial Rxxxxx". I went here: viewtopic.php?t=20615 and followed the bouncing ball to the google drive, and followed that to some of the pdf's that discuss early machines.

Here's the conundrum, and maybe only an old guy chasing shadows.

Am I correct that all "ER" models are "10ER"?
The S/N is in the low 5 digits. It has a 1/2HP tan/blue motor and needs complete restoration.
Have I found a post-war classic machine that has any historical significance?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Model "ER"? Not "10E", not "10ER", not "E"

Post by jsburger »

Yes it is a model 10ER. There was a point in time when the data plate only said ER. Russ will chime in with the details on that. No there is nothing special about it only saying ER on the plate.

The motor has no real significance. Model 10's did not come from the factory with a motor. The motors were bought separately. Most are 1/2HP AO Smith motors but some owners bought 3/4HP motors. I have two 10ER's here with 3/4HP AO Smith motors. Also nothing sacred about the brand although it seems most Model 10's have AO Smith motors.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Ok, and thanks for the update. I've been out of touch on the SS forum for a while, but I still use my two MK VIIs weekly. I was going to go 'invest' in this 10ER but as it's not a machine that I would put to good use, and has no cultural significance, I'll let some other goober take it on. Plenty of rust on the ways, so not worth the 3 hour trip to get it.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

They DO make an excellent dedicated vertical drill press.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

JPG wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:30 pm They DO make an excellent dedicated vertical drill press.
…and they ALSO make an excellent dedicated horizontal belt/disc sanding station. Ya know, if yer one of the lucky ones with several A/B adapters ;) .
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Orr make one from wood. Like the one Shipwright 'inherited'.

I will look for his post later.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

docmirror,

As John said I would I am chiming in. Here is what I believe is the reason for the 10ER Logo/Serial Number plate only saying ER. When Magna Engineering changed from the Model 10E to the 10ER they made only minor changes to the Logo/Serial Number plate. There was no longer a red printed oval around the serial number allowing more room for the longer serial numbers to come. The other was changing 10E on the lower left side of the plate to only ER as there wasn't enough room for 10ER unless the area was redesigned. About half of all the Model 10's made had only ER on their Logo/Serial Number Plate. The tools having only ER on the Logo/Serial Number Plate did have Model 10ER on their Owner's Guides. Later the Logo/Serial Number Plate was redesigned and stated Model 10ER. Below are examples of the different Logo/Serial Number Plates starting with the 10E followed by the ER and last the 10ER.

_
1033.jpg
1033.jpg (183.2 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
10ER R64000 RLC.jpg
10ER R64000 RLC.jpg (149.17 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
10ER 101291 RLC.jpg
10ER 101291 RLC.jpg (217.39 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
As for any particular Model 10E or 10ER being special that is a matter of opinion. There are some I feel are special. Everett has one of the chromed Model 10's Magna did to celebrate a milestone or for other special reasons. The first shipment of 250 Shopsmith Model 10E's made, to me deserve being considered special. The first logo/Serial Number Plate above S/N 1033 is one of those first Shopsmith's made. Of other interest is Model 10's with strange anomalies related to their serial number and the Headstock/tool it is on. That and the rest of the information above is discussed in the thread I started titled Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where which can be found at the following link.

viewtopic.php?t=23647
The following about motors is from my post in Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where on 5/26/20.

The Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER were available for purchase with or without a motor. Magna supplied the A. O. Smith ½ or ¾ HP motors which were specifically designed for the Shopsmith Model 10’s. Other motors found on the Model 10s would have been provided by the person purchasing the Shopsmith. Common options for motors I have had with Model 10’s I purchased for restoration are PowrCraft (Montgomery Ward), GE and Craftsman (Sears) motors. The motors that came on the Model 10E S/N 1077 and now S/N 1033 that I have were different A. O. Smith ½ HP motors. Likely an earlier model motor than the A. O. Smith motors we commonly see. Since it came on both early Model 10E‘s I believe that it was the motor supplied with purchase. If motors were not supplied with the original shipment to Montgomery Ward, I would expect buyers of them to use a motor they already had or buy one from Montgomery Ward at the same time. If that was the case the motor would likely be a PowrCraft motor not an A. O. Smith motor.

As has already been said it can make a very good, dedicated Drill Press especially if you have the Speed Changer otherwise you have a Drill Press with 7 speed available which is more than some you will find.

Another popular use is as a Lathe. It is a heavy weight tool at around 200 pounds (not including the bench) and varies somewhat depending on when it was made. This makes it a more stable Lathe for out of balance stock than other lathes available. With a Speed Changer you can get speeds down to 425 RPMs with the factory pulleys and some creative users have added different size pulleys to get even slower speeds.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Russ, and all thanks for the info. Makes sense now. I had a line on it, but looks like the doof who has it is being cagey so I'm done with him.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Day late $ short, but here is Shipwright's spt mount.

viewtopic.php?t=4889
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

Thanks for sharing that link. Shipwright made a very clever and usable SPT Mount. Very simple design. It may require different length Mounting Posts than the ones that come with any of the SPT's for use on it.

docmirror,

If you still have an interest in getting a Model 10 keep an eye out as they seem to be for sale often, at least in my area. Currently there are five available on CL near me including a nicely restored 10E of mine. Prices are all over the place so if you are not in a hurry shop around for the best price for one that is complete and a condition you can work with. I recommend getting one as complete as you can so you don't have to find replacement parts. That may cost a little more but buying individual replacement parts can become costly.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.