It's triplets

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

docmirror
Gold Member

It's triplets

Post by docmirror »

I couldn't resist. Another Mark VII hits the hangar. Castor and Pollux have a new pal, and it's in very good shape for an old machine. I'm going to unload it tonight when it's not as hot as the surface of the sun. I already checked it over and this is now the best one I have. The vac system works, it runs all speeds, the key position works fine and it's fairly clean.

There weren't a lot of acc with it, and the allen tool is missing, which isn't a surprise. I will give it a lube, and send some pics. This one is destined for my home in CO where there is more wood to mess with. I guess I'll call it Leda.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: It's triplets

Post by nuhobby »

Cornering the market!! An inspiration to all us mortals. :)
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

I don't know why, but the Mark VII are under-priced. I see other Magna models for $300-3000 sometimes, and I find these Mark VII at super low prices. Not an expert by any means, but seems the VII is superior in every respect. Reversible, easy to tilt, vac system, higher power. It's weird they don't sell for higher than Mk V or others.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm waiting for one to show up around here. I missed a couple of good opportunities in the past. I'll probably end up overpaying for the next one I see.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Looks like you have enough Ed! :eek: Keep your eye on both FB and craigslist. That's where I found them. My wife has FB, I don't and she sent me a link to this last one. She knows I like old goofy equipment and said this looks like the one I have at the hangar. She was right, so I went down and got it for a song. It's still hotter than the surface of the sun here in the Republic, so I'm not gonna get it out yet. Maybe Sun am will cool off. :D
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

docmirror wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:56 pm Looks like you have enough Ed! :eek: Keep your eye on both FB and craigslist. That's where I found them. My wife has FB, I don't and she sent me a link to this last one. She knows I like old goofy equipment and said this looks like the one I have at the hangar. She was right, so I went down and got it for a song. It's still hotter than the surface of the sun here in the Republic, so I'm not gonna get it out yet. Maybe Sun am will cool off. :D
I have more than enough. As it is the Goldie, RAS, and 10ER are just for the collection, and I just added a DeltaShop. I do want to use the 10ER as a lathe someday though. It's in pretty good condition and when I look at it I can almost hear it saying "Use me!". Now, a Mark VII is my white whale. I think it would be great to use for my sanding machine, which has started out shortened but I keep finding reasons to go full size anyway, and the double tilt feature and reversible motor would be ideal for those operations.

I have Craig's List notifying me about every ShopSmith posted over a wide area and my wife is scanning FaceBook for me as your wife does for you. She doesn't mind the old machines either. Maybe she thinks it keeps me out of bigger trouble. Hope you have fun with all 3 of yours!
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Pichurz.
Leda is the best cond yet. The castors castor, motor motors, the spindle spindles, the ways way, the speed speeds, the vac vacuums, and the quill quills. Only thing I see that needs doing is some lube and has the wrong gilmer belt, but it's working just fine.
trio.jpg
trio.jpg (434.48 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
Attachments
trio2.jpg
trio2.jpg (358.92 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

More pichurz. First one still in my Flex. I say this was the deal of the century.
still loaded 2.jpg
still loaded 2.jpg (297.08 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
Attachments
backside.jpg
backside.jpg (304.65 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
box of acc.jpg
box of acc.jpg (330.88 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

pichurz. Now, I'm not sure yet, but at first blush, it appears the gilmer belt is not well aligned on the grooves. Which is not groovy. I'll loosen it up and do some hacking at it next week when I lube. I got a nice drill chuck with it, but no chuck key, and no allen. I've ordered both from amazon.
Attachments
belts.jpg
belts.jpg (104.49 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
speed hub.jpg
speed hub.jpg (284.56 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Those things are so cool looking! The disadvantage to the bench configuration appears to be the low height of the headstock in drill press mode. That just tells me the bench tube pivot on the right side should be further out. The cabinet could be longer, or just a bracket extension. It's not a disadvantage when the headstock is in under table mode so the left side pivot could remain the same.

Looking at your pictures I'm wondering if the cabinet could be shifted to the right on the wheeled frame, along with new pivot rods on the bench tubes positioned to correspond with the new cabinet position. Maybe a problem with clearance in under table mode. So just moving the right side pivot point further to the right should do the trick.

Is there a locking mechanism for the two vertical modes?
Ed from Rhode Island