It's triplets

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

docmirror
Gold Member

Re: It's triplets

Post by docmirror »

On a larger note, although the Mk VII has 7 built in functions, it seems that by the time the Mk VII came out, Magna was offering any and all kinds of remote mounted, headstock driven wood tools. I have the vert belt sander, the jig saw, the planer, the flex shaft serpent of death, the air compressor. Add to that the big band saw, and that works out to 13 diff tools off the Mk VII is capable of handling.

I'm guessing some, maybe all of those remote tools are possible to fit to the Mk V, but never had one so I don't know.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It's been far more than 5 or 7 functions all along. Even without SPTs you can add small devices like drum sanders, flap sanders, grinding wheels, wire wheels, and any other kind of rotary tool. That's often the part ignored by critics of the machine.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Yeah, I figured the Magna had all those tools before the Mk VII. I think the only thing I'm missing is the band saw.

Anyway, I went down and made some measurements, and I have them here in new pichurz.
First is my friend Lenny the lizard. I turned on the light, and found this nice little bug-eater sitting on top of my riding mower, looking like he ran the world. Had to grab a pic of him and a shout out thanks for eating as many bugs as he can at night. Sorry I woke him up.
lizard.jpg
lizard.jpg (179.36 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Next we've got the base measurements. Looks like 17 wide by 57 long.
base width.jpg
base width.jpg (345.07 KiB) Viewed 707 times
base length.jpg
base length.jpg (359.23 KiB) Viewed 707 times
And last, is the height from the ground to the lower ways pivot.
pivot height.jpg
pivot height.jpg (87.58 KiB) Viewed 707 times
I'm of the opinion that the base should have outriggers greater than 17" to help from tipping. This goes along with the pivot height at the lower ways being higher than 22 inches. I'd likely add about 6-9" for the lower set of ways to pivot so the tool was a bit higher in vert mode. Of course that depends on the operator too.
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

I lubed the plastic speed control and the ball, along with the axle shafts upper and lower. Then I loosened up the intermediate shaft and loosened the poly V belt so I could get it lined up right. Slid the belt over two notches on the top pulley. Re-torqued the eccentric and got the belt real snug. It's definitely quieter and a bit smoother running with the belt lined up right.

Had a bit of a small disaster while it was running that gave me a start. As it was on fairly high speed, I heard a "THUNK". I shut it off right away, and searched around. Finally, I found the gear set on the ways traverse dial had fallen out of it's pressed in hole. The gear asm has a worm and roller set and the whole thing had fallen out and the traverse stopped working. I got the shaft put back in and it needs a new C clip to lock in place, but it's a minor issue. The machine is ready to go.