It's triplets

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

docmirror
Gold Member

Re: It's triplets

Post by docmirror »

larryhrockisland wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:51 pm viewtopic.php?t=22414 Here’s an idea I had for a 10ER double tilt but I never followed through and built it. I like the one I posted above better for more compact storage when it’s tilted left.
The link inside that link shows a wood framed match to a Mk VII base. If I were wanting to convert a Mk V to a Mk VII base, I'd just get some 16Ga sheet steel and take it to a sheet metal shop and have them brake it up the way Magna did. Couple of 1/4" pan head bolts, nuts, washers and badda bing. The tricky part would be making the pivot cross arms and some kind of pivot latch, but it could be done. Maybe without the camming system, and have an overcenter top latch for security. Could be done.

I forgot the nomenclature for the belt. I just like writing 'Gilmer', but I know it's the wrong style. I'm going to go work on it Thursday doing the lube, and I'll try to get the poly V lined up right. It had a very slight squeal when I tested it, and I'm betting the offset of the V belt was causing that squeal.

Since I'm being corrected, it's ectually a 13 rib, not 14 rib. Since that one belt is $50, I'm going to stick with what I have unless there's some slippage.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yer correct913vribs). I was 'thinking' 4 more.

The belt offset on both pulleys should be the same. Both are 13 groove.

Took a second look at yer pix. The control sheave pulley has the belt further 'forward' by at least two grooves.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

docmirror wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:04 am The link inside that link shows a wood framed match to a Mk VII base. If I were wanting to convert a Mk V to a Mk VII base, I'd just get some 16Ga sheet steel and take it to a sheet metal shop and have them brake it up the way Magna did. Couple of 1/4" pan head bolts, nuts, washers and badda bing. The tricky part would be making the pivot cross arms and some kind of pivot latch, but it could be done. Maybe without the camming system, and have an overcenter top latch for security. Could be done.
That's what I'm looking at. I'll mock it up in wood to get the dimensions right. It would be great if I could find a sturdy metal cabinet of the right size. I'd use stock angle and square tube to make the frame for the casters. If I can't find a cabinet of the right size my sheet metal guys can make that for me easily. The base castings need reinforcement, they weren't designed to transfer loads to the bench tubes so they'll need to be reinforced and the base casting needs to sit flat on top of the cabinet in drill press mode. The right casting needs reinforcing also in order to hold the weight of an SPT on that end in horizontal mode without any support directly underneath it. The bench tubes only tilt for under table mode, in drill press mode only the way tubes tilt up so the two pivots don't have to release to use to tilt the other way. The left end base casting needs to lock down on top of the cabinet. The bench tubes have to lock against the side of the cabinet when tilted up. Reinforcing the based castings for this purpose are the only difficult part of this, so I can count on at that taking 80-90% of the time spent. Steel ain't cheap these days, I won't be happy about the price of the cabinet and legs.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

'Steel ain't cheap' he says. ;)

I was just in Lowes chatting with the mgr, as I know him well, and he treats me right. He said there's another big increase coming in wood products in the next few months due to some new 'timber tax' on treating lumber, and also the new regs on some kind of glue or laminate that binds wood products commercially.

When lumber skyrocketed last year, I saw a funny craigslist ad. Was a pic of 4x8 sheet of plywood, and the copy read; "4x8x3/4 full sheet CDX. Will trade for 2004 or newer Ferrari. No scammers, I know what I got." Made me chuckle.

I'm sure a base with tilting can be made from wood just fine. Knowing nothing about the wood process, I would personally want some kind of hardwood like Oak or Maple, and not a softwood of Pine family. That would make up the diff in materials cost compared to sheet steel.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

docmirror wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:14 pm
I'm sure a base with tilting can be made from wood just fine. Knowing nothing about the wood process, I would personally want some kind of hardwood like Oak or Maple, and not a softwood of Pine family. That would make up the diff in materials cost compared to sheet steel.
I just looked over my existing supply of long and heavy metal. I have a 10 ft. length of 2-1/2" square steel tube with 1/16" wall, several pieces of 2-1/2" square steel tube with 3/16" wall of currently unknown length, a variety of steel angle with 1-2" legs with 3/16" thickness, around 8 ft. of 3"x3"x 3/16" aluminum angle and 8 ft. of 4"x4"x1/2" aluminum angle. That's more than enough for the bottom rails and cross members to mount the casters and the cabinet on. A cabinet made of plywood with metal angle reinforcement should work fine but I'd still like to have a cabinet made from sheet steel. That shouldn't be all that expensive, my local sheet metal guys are great and love doing stuff like that instead of just making duct work and drain pans. But I'll work it all out with 2x4s and plywood to until I get the measurements finalized.

Reinforcing the base casting shouldn't be too hard. Meaning it will be more difficult than I think of course. I would like to use a 1/2" aluminum plate that fits in the bottom of each casting flush against the bench tubes. It will need some kind of tabs to attach around the edges of the plate to mount it with existing screw holes for the legs, plus a few more, and then the plate will be clamped to the bench tubes with at least one U-bolt through the aluminum plate on each tube.

In drill press mode the plate will sit flat on the right end of cabinet top and be locked down on it. So the cabinet will extend nearly all the way to the end of the bottom rails on the right side, leaving just enough space to mount the casters. Note that only the way tubes are tilted up in the drill press mode just like any Model 4/5/7xx machine.

In under table mode the entire assembly of castings, bench and way tubes has to tilt on a pivot somewhere around 10-12" inward on the bench tubes from the left base casting. That pivot can just be a rod that runs between the bench tubes and brackets that attach to the top or the left side of the cabinet. Another method would be to make a hinge assembly that connects to the bench tubes with U-bolts, similar to the way it was done in the Popular Mechanics article. In the vertical position the bench tubes or casting is locked on to the left side of the cabinet. Ideally with the lock mechanism is located the top of the cabinet so I don't have to bend down to lock it.

I'll still start with a wood mockup, maybe never get a steel cabinet made. So far it's hypothetical but doesn't look ridiculously difficult or costly. The remaining issue is the main table only tilting 90° in one direction. Apparently the Mark VII table tilts in 90° both ways using some magical tie bar configuration that doesn't get in the way. I'd like to find out how that works. I think that may not be possible with standard tables but I already have two tables with the legs reversed in one of them to accommodate tilting in either direction. They're currently 500 tables but I have another 510 carriage and table I can use on it.

Sorry to fill up your thread with this stuff but it's a good way to think it all through.
Last edited by edma194 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

What if you come up with another 510/520 carriage, you’ve already got a double tilt table you could swap around.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Duplicate. How do I keep doing this?
Last edited by edma194 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

edma194 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:49 pm
larryhrockisland wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:42 pm What if you come up with another 510/520 carriage, you’ve already got a double tilt table you could swap around.
I have another 510 carriage but I don't have a double tilt 510 table currently. I can keep one 510 table with regular legs and another one with legs reversed. So far the only need I've seen for a 510 table on the sanding machine is to mount the sanding disk through the table opening and use the lower guard for dust collection. I have a surplus of 500 tables though, so I might just cut a longer slot for the sanding disk in one of them.

I think you can only get table legs with rack cut on both sides by buying the whole tie bar assembly along with them, or by buying a double tilt upgrade where they come separately and you have to replace the ones in an existing table. I don't have the means to cut the rack on the opposite side myself but I wonder what a machinist would charge me to do that. I suppose it could be done with a sliding miter saw and an abrasive wheel. The existing rack could be used to maintain the proper distance between cuts. The tricky part will be maintaining the depth of cut with saw arm only part way down and the circumference of the abrasive wheel getting smaller as it cuts.
Ed from Rhode Island

larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

Ahhh, I did assume :o you had a double tilt table with the power pro double tilt unit. :D
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

larryhrockisland wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:04 pm Ahhh, I did assume :o you had a double tilt table with the power pro double tilt unit. :D
I got that double tilt setup with a PowerPro, but no table. I have that PowerPro headstock in my drill press right now. The whole double tilt bench is in like new condition, including a lift assist, so I'm trying to keep it in that condition in case I want to sell them someday.

ETA: I just modified my profile to remove 'double tilt' and added the DeltaHomecraft DeltaShop.
Ed from Rhode Island