Workbench Retractable Casters

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CreekWood
Gold Member

Re: Workbench Retractable Casters

Post by CreekWood »

Oh, just in case anyone else ever finds themselves in a loosing battle with the feed belt on one of these old drum sanders, here's the radical adjustment needed to make that belt track correctly:
PXL_20231107_000440281.jpg
PXL_20231107_000440281.jpg (187.22 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
Get rid of the outermost adjustment screw on the side the belt insists on wandering towards, and force that end of the out feed roller down. I was so ready to kick this thing to the curb before I found this fix.
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am curious WHY this worked.

This Is a feed conveyer belt?(slow)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

JPG, I can't figure out why a band saw blade will ride on the crown of the wheel instead of flying off in the first revolution! And I tried that too-I applied electrical tape on the middle section of the drive roller, but that didn't help. I can't take credit for this fix; someone described it in another forum. Unfortunately I didn't keep the reference, because I'd sure like to thank the guy. I guess that in some conveyer belt situations, a tech will put a slight twist in the belt by canting an end roller. The standard fix gets argued-- some say tighten, others say loosen the tension on the side that the belt drifts to.
Oh, and a shocking story-- together with the shop vac, this drum sander puts a lot of static in the air. I wasn't all that surprised when the hairs on my arm stood up, or when it zapped my finger, but when the nose pads on my reading glasses started arcing I about went cross-eyed!
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I wonder it it riding on the lip has anything to do with it.

It IS a conveyer belt?

Ever heard of a Van De Graf generator?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

Yes, essentially the drive belt is a conveyer belt made up as a loop of cloth-backed 16" wide sandpaper. Feels about 220-320 grit.

Had to look up Van De Graf; yep-I've seen those but didn't know the internal workings.
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

@CreekWood,

Thanks for the link to the casters. The heavy duty ratcheting look like just the ticket for one of my CNCs when I redesign/enlarge/rebuild it and maybe also for a metal table I recently bought.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes: