Operates Shopsmith on a GFCI circuit?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KyleWalker
Bronze Member

Operates Shopsmith on a GFCI circuit?

Post by KyleWalker »

Is there anyone in this group who operates their Shopsmith on a GFCI circuit? If you do, have you encountered issues with it tripping frequently? On a related note, does anyone here run their dust collector on a GFCI circuit? How has that experience been? I've come across several instances where people with equipment featuring substantial motors have faced challenges with GFCI trips, and I'd appreciate hearing your insights on this matter.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Operates Shopsmith on a GFCI circuit?

Post by DLB »

KyleWalker wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:55 pm Is there anyone in this group who operates their Shopsmith on a GFCI circuit? If you do, have you encountered issues with it tripping frequently? On a related note, does anyone here run their dust collector on a GFCI circuit? How has that experience been? I've come across several instances where people with equipment featuring substantial motors have faced challenges with GFCI trips, and I'd appreciate hearing your insights on this matter.
I've run both on GFCI without issues. Shopsmith recommends a GFCI circuit breaker rather than outlet for PowerPro, but mine run fine on a regular GFCI outlet. GFCI for garage outlet receptacles has been standard for a long time, over 40 years IIRC.

- David
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I finished my basement where my shop is in 2021 and while it wasn't code yet, the inspector strongly recommended I use GFCI/AFCI breakers for all the basement outlets. I've never had an issue tripping on either of my 520's. All the 120v outlets in the shop are 20 amp.

My dust collector is 220v 30 amp and it is on a GFCI as well and no issues there either.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I have GFCI outlets in my garage. Neither the standard headstock nor the PowerPro tripped the GFCI, but I have a variable speed lathe that did. I switched the outlet to a hospital grade GFCI and that solved the problem.

Mike
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

twistsol wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:28 pm My dust collector is 220v 30 amp ...
What's the horsepower rating on that beast?
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:46 am
twistsol wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:28 pm My dust collector is 220v 30 amp ...
What's the horsepower rating on that beast?
It is a Jet JCDC3 3 HP. It requires a 20 amp circuit but I didn't want to be limited if I ever need to replace it. In my 1000 square foot shop, it is plenty along with 3 HEPA vacs for bench top tools.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would not expect a tripping problem with a 240v load due to noise filter capacitors creating unbalanced line leakage currents.

When one of those lines is neutral(120v) the filter capacitors will create a small unbalanced current.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange