Belt sander drum

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JoeSark
Bronze Member

Belt sander drum

Post by JoeSark »

Just wanted to share a solution for belt sander tracking. I have a belt sander that had a crowned drive drum. I watched Scott Markwood's video and he said that the crowned drum makes tracking almost impossible, and to replace the drum. Not wanting to wait, I decided to try sanding the drum flat. I took the belt off, ran the motor at low speed, and used a piece of 40 grit sandpaper as if I were sanding on the lathe. Took about 8 minutes. Using speed "C" seemed to be the most effective. It tracks fine now.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Belt sander drum

Post by edma194 »

What on earth was wrong with the Shopsmith crowned drums? I've seen other belt sanders with crowned drums and didn't hear any complaints about them. They weren't my machines, maybe there were problems I didn't hear about, but it seems to be a common concept with belt sanders. The uncoronated drum on my Shopsmith belt sander does work fine glad I didn't have to deal with the other type.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I had one with the crowned drive drum and solved it the same way as the OP. Definitely saves a few bucks. I don't know the mechanics of what is wrong, but it is well documented that they track better with only the idler drum crowned. Mine is circa early 80's.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

On the SS belt sander the tracking is controlled by the angular positioning of the idler drum.

Having a crowned belt ALSO being 'guided' by a crowned drive drum only introduces a conflict of who is the mother hen.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange