PowerPro Headstock DIY Upgrade

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gac5ss
Gold Member

Re: PowerPro Headstock DIY Upgrade

Post by gac5ss »

edma194 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:05 pm
gac5ss wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:40 pm
I have a speed increaser for under table shaper work and my last purchase of the 500 brought all manner of accessories and SPT's. Now to get the speed control working as intended. I also have the tube base to make it a user modified double tilt.
With the speed increaser you get all the benefits of undertable table routing that the PowerPro would provide. You may not need the double-tilt for anything else. The double-tilt is a problem if you want to keep an SPT mounted on the left side like a bandsaw. It has to be removed just to tilt up into drill press mode. If you really want to there are instructions on the forum for modifying motors to be reversible. There's not much more capability available in a PowerPro. You could go buy a lot of expensive Woodpecker and Festool stuff with the money you'd spend on one.
Thanks Ed. More good information. Wasn't aware of the reverse instructions on the forum. Does it allow a reversing switch set-up, or is it a semi-permanent solution?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Reversing is limited to NON-EMERSON motors. A modification not for the faint hearted.

Yes a reversing selector switch is typical.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Here is a link to a thread providing instructions on rewiring the headstock motor to add the reverse capability.

viewtopic.php?t=12664
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

benmcn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:54 pm Here is a link to a thread providing instructions on rewiring the headstock motor to add the reverse capability.

viewtopic.php?t=12664
Thank you for creating that .pdf. I printed the whole thing out to take to a motor shop for a quote when I travel way down to the southern part of my state for a doctor's appointment next week. I'm hoping they won't want to much too replace the bearings and make the wiring modifications.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I stopped by a motor shop today with the instructions and a motor. They would charge $150 for replacing the bearings and the tech thinks about 3 hours additional at $85 an hour for the rewiring work. Their discount price for the whole job is $350 assuming 3 hours is sufficient. The tech seems confident that will be enough time.

I doubt I'd find a better price around here. I think I could put $350 to better use right now and I don't have much need for this. Maybe I'll give it a try myself some day.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER