PowerPro Headstock DIY Upgrade

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gac5ss
Gold Member

PowerPro Headstock DIY Upgrade

Post by gac5ss »

I see Shopsmith is putting the Mark 7 and related PowerPro upgrades on sale today through 9/4/2023. For me the DIY upgrade would run $3091.00 delivered. Which includes the double tilt upgrade. My logic says you really can't have one without the other. It would be nice if they would put them both on special, as they really are complementary of each other.

Is this really worth the investment? Those of you who made the jump from the old headstock to the PowerPro, do you regret it? If a do over was allowed, would you buy a decked out cabinet saw with a 52" fence? (If $3100 would get me a 3HP Sawstop, I might not be asking the questions. Picked up in Springfield it would be $3987 with tax.) In your experience with the Shopsmith PowerPro, is there weakness in the chassis which will not stand up over time? (There sure are a lot of moving parts and lockdowns required.)

Don't misunderstand my questions as any criticism of my 2 Shopsmiths'. I do like them, but I hesitate to put more into one of them than I could ever get back.

Thanks
claimdude
Gold Member

Re: PowerPro Headstock DIY Upgrade

Post by claimdude »

Never regretted upgrading to PP 10 years ago. In fact I bought a new PP w/headstock Gen 2 when they hit the market and don't regret that either. I have thought about the double tilt over the years (bought my first SS new in 1987) but have never pulled the trigger on it. I just can't see how it would improve my work flow.

Jack
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

claimdude wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:01 am Never regretted upgrading to PP 10 years ago. In fact I bought a new PP w/headstock Gen 2 when they hit the market and don't regret that either. I have thought about the double tilt over the years (bought my first SS new in 1987) but have never pulled the trigger on it. I just can't see how it would improve my work flow.

Jack
Under table rout/shape is most of what is gained.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Honestly, I kind of regret spending the money on the upgrade. I love having the PowerPro, and I got a deal on a second used one, but the upgrade cost a lot of money. Not sure of the price difference between a complete headstock and upgrade kit currently, it was only a couple hundred dollars back then, and it was fun doing the upgrade, but considering the possibility of problems I've heard of I'd get a complete headstock if I was doing it again.

And I'm not sure I'd do it again. It's cool looking, I love the idea of precise speed control. I may use the higher speeds available some day for routing or shaping, but I'm more likely to do that on a router table. I think it's so unlikely I'll use it as a router that I haven't moved it to the double tilt bench I acquired.

I don't mean to be discouraging, if you want a cool headstock it's available. The new version 2 control panel is even cooler looking and hints at more future capabilities. However, after the fact, I don't think I could justify the cost based on actual utility. Despite saying that, I did spend money to maintain nice looking convertibles to drive for the past 40 years and they weren't worth the extra cost for utility alone. Sometimes you pay more for to ride in style, sometimes you pay more to cut wood in style.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I did the DYI Power Pro Upgrade on my Mark V 520 several years ago now. I also upgraded it with the Double Tilt which I did separately buying each when I could get them on sale. For the DYI Power Pro Upgrade I put it into a "C" Headstock casting with a motor pan and Belt Cover plus other parts I bought used so I could keep my original Headstock as a backup. So far, I have not needed to use the original Headstock. The Power Pro Upgrade comes with most of the parts needed in the Headstock and with the new 2.0 it also has the new Quill Feed Pinion.

I like using the Power Pro over the conventional Headstock. That is not to say I could not do equally fine work with a conventional Headstock Shopsmith for the things I mostly use it for. Pluses for the Power Pro is the wider speed range with more power and less maintenance. No more lubricating Sheaves or Speed Control gears, just clean out any accumulated dust periodically and inspect the belts.

Knowing what I know now about the Power Pro if I had to do it over again I would. I know I cannot recover the cost of this upgrade if I should sell my Power Pro Shopsmith. I did not do the upgrade to increase its resale value. I did the upgrade to use it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:46 am Honestly, I kind of regret spending the money on the upgrade. I love having the PowerPro, and I got a deal on a second used one, but the upgrade cost a lot of money. Not sure of the price difference between a complete headstock and upgrade kit currently, it was only a couple hundred dollars back then, and it was fun doing the upgrade, but considering the possibility of problems I've heard of I'd get a complete headstock if I was doing it again.

And I'm not sure I'd do it again. It's cool looking, I love the idea of precise speed control. I may use the higher speeds available some day for routing or shaping, but I'm more likely to do that on a router table. I think it's so unlikely I'll use it as a router that I haven't moved it to the double tilt bench I acquired.

I don't mean to be discouraging, if you want a cool headstock it's available. The new version 2 control panel is even cooler looking and hints at more future capabilities. However, after the fact, I don't think I could justify the cost based on actual utility. Despite saying that, I did spend money to maintain nice looking convertibles to drive for the past 40 years and they weren't worth the extra cost for utility alone. Sometimes you pay more for to ride in style, sometimes you pay more to cut wood in style.
Ed,

You pretty much summed up many of the reasons why I have remained on the sidelines and have never purchased a PowerPro. Have put my hands on them a few times at demos and a friend's PowerPro. I actually prefer the mechanical speed dial on my 520 headstock. I liked the possibilities with an LCD touchscreen on the Gen 2, but the small LCD and the fact that the display image doesn't auto-rotate in drill press mode is a real sour point for me - price is astronomical. IF I had the extra money laying around and the space, I for sure would buy a dedicated cabinet TS with that money and if possible a dedicated lathe as well. I still love my Mark V, but I have matured as a woodworker since I started using it 3 decades ago and can see pros and cons with it now. Not a PowerPro owner myself, but someone who dreams of the potential of what a Gen 2 should have been. :(
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I was running two Marks, a shorty as pretty much a dedicated 520 table saw and a full size 520 for everything else. Bought a PowerPro and DT at what turned out to be one of the last Lowe's demo's. I love the PowerPro, but suddenly had PowerPro envy and wasn't using my dedicated TS shorty. So I did more upgrades to it. In hindsight, I should have replaced my 520 shorty with a SawStop 3 HP PCS instead, though it's more money. I especially like the low speed capability and the quiet of the PP. I'm underwhelmed by the high-speed aspects though, the PP just gets too hot too fast for my liking. I thought I'd be getting rid of my stand alone shaper and that is not going to happen. So I don't use mine as a router/shaper except horizontal or odd table angles.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

gac5ss wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:44 am I see Shopsmith is putting the Mark 7 and related PowerPro upgrades on sale today through 9/4/2023. For me the DIY upgrade would run $3091.00 delivered. Which includes the double tilt upgrade. My logic says you really can't have one without the other. It would be nice if they would put them both on special, as they really are complementary of each other.
What model Shopsmith are you running now?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

edma194 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:46 am Honestly, I kind of regret spending the money on the upgrade. I love having the PowerPro, and I got a deal on a second used one, but the upgrade cost a lot of money. Not sure of the price difference between a complete headstock and upgrade kit currently, it was only a couple hundred dollars back then, and it was fun doing the upgrade, but considering the possibility of problems I've heard of I'd get a complete headstock if I was doing it again.

You have made made many of the points I have been thinking. It is not just the cost, but the value received from it. Or better stated the enjoyment factor. I owned a furniture repair and refinishing business from 1998 to 2020. My father owned a church furniture manufacturing business when I was growing up, and I also spent 9 months in 1997-98 successfully completing a program in wood finishing and furniture restoration school.

So my experience is with hand tools to industrial manufacturing machinery. My Dad would laugh at my Shopsmiths, but I see the value. My father in law would call them a gadget, just as he would the Leatherman tool and the Hoosier cabinets. I kind of have an affection for gadgets. The end product may not be as important to me as much as the process that I use to make the product. Using the Shopsmith goes hand in hand through the process. Having a Timesaver wide belt sander just doesn't appeal to me. I would rather use my orbital sander.

Thanks for your opinion
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

edma194 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:39 pm
gac5ss wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:44 am I see Shopsmith is putting the Mark 7 and related PowerPro upgrades on sale today through 9/4/2023. For me the DIY upgrade would run $3091.00 delivered. Which includes the double tilt upgrade. My logic says you really can't have one without the other. It would be nice if they would put them both on special, as they really are complementary of each other.
What model Shopsmith are you running now?
I have a 520 and a 500. I have the tables and carriage to convert the 500 to a 510, except I do not have a fence. I purchased the 510 table and carriage to fabricate a Ryobi BT3000 fence and sliding miter table setup. I have the BT3000 and all of the parts to put it together. The 500 was bought after the 510 tables. It came with many accessories and SPT's. Now I have an extra bandsaw, and jointer. I really just purchased the 500 to get the belt sander. It also came with a Jigsaw, of which I never have owned. Not sure I need it as I have a RBI Hawk scroll saw. I may sell the extra 500 to my brother if he will let go of his money. :)