Gilmer to Poly Vee - Am I missing a part here?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

Gilmer to Poly Vee - Am I missing a part here?

Post by tfrayne »

I am slowly rebuilding a 1956 greenie and updating it to a 1-1/8 HP motor with a Poly Vee drive and a two bearing quill.

All of the parts came in a kit from ShopSmith.

I have been slow on this project due to the TX heat of summer and no AC in the shop. I am in the process of re-assembly and I've hit a snag.

On the left is the new shaft assembly for the poly vee drive, and on the left is the old gilmer setup. As you can see, the bearings are markedly different. I do not see a way for the eccentric bearing piece to fit onto the new drive. Did I forget to order a part here?
Attachments
eccentric bushing.jpeg
eccentric bushing.jpeg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Gilmer to Poly Vee - Am I missing a part here?

Post by DLB »

tfrayne wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:21 pm I am slowly rebuilding a 1956 greenie and updating it to a 1-1/8 HP motor with a Poly Vee drive and a two bearing quill.

All of the parts came in a kit from ShopSmith.

I have been slow on this project due to the TX heat of summer and no AC in the shop. I am in the process of re-assembly and I've hit a snag.

On the left is the new shaft assembly for the poly vee drive, and on the left is the old gilmer setup. As you can see, the bearings are markedly different. I do not see a way for the eccentric bearing piece to fit onto the new drive. Did I forget to order a part here?
You have a couple of choices. To use the new Idler bearing, you should use the 'new' eccentric bushing. That's the part that appears to be missing. Alternatively, if your old Idler Bearing is good, IIRC you can move the Poly-V style sheave over to your old Idler. Generally, the old style (aka water pump style) bearings are superior. (Though yours is getting on in years.) In fact I have never personally experienced a bad idler bearing of the old style. I have with the new style, and keep a spare of the PowerPro version on hand at all times. I'm not a fan of the new type Idler bearings, and not alone in that viewpoint.

ETA: https://www.shopsmith.com/mediawiki/ind ... g_(504190) I'm not certain the information on this page is correct, because I'm not sure how many versions of eccentric exist. IMO you need a split eccentric with the new bearing. And it is okay to use a split eccentric with any Idler Shaft.

- David
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

The same info on the current website
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... r_note.htm
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.12.20 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.12.20 PM.png (940.3 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Thanks DLB and HopefulSSer
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!