Are these shopsmith?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Are these shopsmith?

Post by JPG »

Interesting! My 62 vintage are straight.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In the picture I posted of the different Eccentric Mounting Posts the Jointer one is from my 1979 Model 505681 which I believe to be the original Mounting Posts it came with. I am the third owner and I was with my father-in-law when he purchased it and other Shopsmith tools from the original owner. The Mounting Posts Bob shows are the same dimensions as my Jointer's Mounting Posts but appear to be two post sections "bolted" together with the offset instead of a single cast part.

The 1960 Goldie Jointer I restored a few years ago had straight Mounting Posts and I suspect David's Jointer does not have its original Mounting Posts. David's Mounting Posts being solid and Bob's being "bolted" together plus my cast Eccentric Mounting Posts suggests there are a least three different versions of the Jointer Eccentric Mounting Posts. That is, unless any of them came from a clone.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:56 pm I suspect David's Jointer does not have its original Mounting Posts. David's Mounting Posts being solid and Bob's being "bolted" together plus my cast Eccentric Mounting Posts suggests there are a least three different versions of the Jointer Eccentric Mounting Posts. That is, unless any of them came from a clone.
I bought my Greenie, with Jointer, in the early 80's and it had at least two POs. It had not been used since the late 70's. So very possible the eccentrics are not OEM, though someone went to a lot of trouble if they are shop made. I have not seen others like this. I found a pic in another thread: viewtopic.php?p=276839#p276839

- David