Age of my “1956” Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Age of my “1956” Greenie

Post by DLB »

The portion visible at the top of the Jointer mount looks like a solid, rather than a tube.(?) If so, are the others made from solid stock as well? These look like they have a much better fit than the current OEM eccentric mounts, though I'm curious how/why the PO decided on that amount of offset. Very cool approach. My '57 BS has the straight tube with adjustable stop collars for height adjustment.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My ? regarding the 'base casting' was referring to the base of the bandsaw that has not been 'recolored'. Why not also new color?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

I’ve been wondering the same thing since I posted the last pics but I haven’t checked it yet. I will today. In order to join the tubes to the bars the way they are at least the ends have to be solid so either they are bars or have end plugs welded in.
As for the offset, my guess is the same reason as the current offset mounts, in order to be able to leave the bandsaw in place while moving to drill press mode.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Artistic licence, JPG. The Metalic Turquoise was the closest colour I was able to get and while I like it a lot, it is pretty “in your face” so I copied the headstock and went two tone turquoise/silver.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The CI bandsaw does not have the tilting interference that the larger aluminum table has.

I do not question thy choice of color(it be thy free choice), but wonder why the bandsaw is still half original gray?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

It was all green when I got it. I painted both base and cover.
20230905_150951_Original.jpeg
20230905_150951_Original.jpeg (543.62 KiB) Viewed 630 times
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Checked the tubes this morning and tubes they are not. They are solid steel bar!
Bandsaw, jointer, and jig saw.
I’m liking them better every time I look at them. 😁
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Mounting Tubes on all three SPT are custom made, not OEM. Depending on when each was made they would have either straight Mounting Tubes or if made later the standard eccentric tubes. The change to eccentric Mounting Tubes varied and the last to change was the Jig Saw.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Yeah, pretty much decided that. The are very nicely made.