looking for help pricing a Mark VII to sell

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: looking for help pricing a Mark VII to sell

Post by edma194 »

The price changes a lot with the region. Around here I've seen Mark VIIs in recent years in the price range of $200-$400. It would be surprising to find one in good enough condition and complete enough to sell for more than that. I haven't seen one on Craig's List around here for at least 2 years now, and still kicking myself for not getting a deal on a pair of them for $400, one in very good working condition and the other one for parts.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

I have three Mk VIIs. This might be a shock, but they are generally worth less than a Mk V. However, it is highly conditioned depended. A poor condition Mk VII will bring a lot less than a great cond Mk V, with the same features and options. A great condition Mk VII will not bring much more than an average cond Mk V.

Sorry to say, but that's the way I've gone. Besides the notes from JPG, who is the guru on the platform, I will point out that your Mk VII is a series 1, with the least favored base leg setup, and the worst vacuum system. There were running improvements along the way, which made it more stable, and also a bit better to adjust for various jobs.

If it runs flawlessly, at all speeds, in both directions, and the quill is smooth in and out, and doesn't make any nasty noises it's about $400-$600 at the top. If it has glitches, and I see some grime and gunk on the ways, and it doesn't move smoothly, or the quill is sticky, or the belts are frayed, or the intermediate shaft bearings are worn, or the vac is busted up, or a combo of many of these things, consider $200, and help him load it.

If you were closer to TX I'd buy it, but not interested in the XC trip. Tell the interested guy $300, and prove it does all it does, and shake hands.
azcoot87
Silver Member

Post by azcoot87 »

We'll see if we can find the rip fence. We've been looking for anything that looks like it might go with it. Thanks for the suggestion about the speed and your response!
lahola1 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:00 am Looks like the plastic speed adj cam is good. That's a plus. I don't see the rip fence. That would be a minus because only a mark VII fence fits on a Mark VII. Make sure you look for that. I would collect any parts that look like it should be with the Shopsmith. Take it out and clean it up a bit.
It's hard on the motor to start at or near hi speed so put a glove on and turn the blade by hand (with elec cord unplugged) and turn the speed dial down at the same time to slow or near slow. Lube up the sheaves a bit.

I have a Mark VII also and I would say yours cleaned up a bit and with the important parts (look for that rip fence!) is worth $200-$300.
azcoot87
Silver Member

Post by azcoot87 »

I've been looking at both sites for comparisons.

Thanks!
thunderbirdbat wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:56 am Also look at Craigslist and Facebook Market Place for Shopsmith and Shop Smith, both spellings, to see what the average price is in your area. Prices vary a lot depending on what is available and how many accessories come with the machine. Just in the Cedar Rapids area of Iowa there are a couple of 510 machines for sale with band saws, one is listed for $400 and the other for $1200. There is also a 10ER for sale listed at $650.
azcoot87
Silver Member

Post by azcoot87 »

Wow! Three? I've noticed that some of the Mark V's are listed for more.

It only hums in reverse. So, JPG just said to tweak the switch to see if that helps. I'd noticed others just have legs and not the base the one we have has.

Yup, we're definitely a lengthy drive from Texas. Thanks for your reply!
docmirror wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:22 pm I have three Mk VIIs. This might be a shock, but they are generally worth less than a Mk V. However, it is highly conditioned depended. A poor condition Mk VII will bring a lot less than a great cond Mk V, with the same features and options. A great condition Mk VII will not bring much more than an average cond Mk V.

Sorry to say, but that's the way I've gone. Besides the notes from JPG, who is the guru on the platform, I will point out that your Mk VII is a series 1, with the least favored base leg setup, and the worst vacuum system. There were running improvements along the way, which made it more stable, and also a bit better to adjust for various jobs.

If it runs flawlessly, at all speeds, in both directions, and the quill is smooth in and out, and doesn't make any nasty noises it's about $400-$600 at the top. If it has glitches, and I see some grime and gunk on the ways, and it doesn't move smoothly, or the quill is sticky, or the belts are frayed, or the intermediate shaft bearings are worn, or the vac is busted up, or a combo of many of these things, consider $200, and help him load it.

If you were closer to TX I'd buy it, but not interested in the XC trip. Tell the interested guy $300, and prove it does all it does, and shake hands.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

By "tweak the switch", JPG meant take it apart and correct things.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
azcoot87
Silver Member

Post by azcoot87 »

Yup, I understand. Going to look into it. Thanks!
JPG wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:08 pm By "tweak the switch", JPG meant take it apart and correct things.
azcoot87
Silver Member

Post by azcoot87 »

Well, it now goes both forward and reverse. I have a video, but can't seem to attach it. Found the correct drill chuck and key. Got the quill working pretty smoothy. Belts are in good condition. Not sure that everything in pictures 3 and 4 goes with it. We just started putting things aside and will look into it further. When we were sliding it, the plastic teeth on one tube partially broke off. Any idea where I can get those? I didn't see anything in the manual or parts book. Any other info anyone has, just let me know. Thanks!
Attachments
Shopsmith Mark VII-36.jpg
Shopsmith Mark VII-36.jpg (98.52 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Shopsmith Mark VII-44.jpg
Shopsmith Mark VII-44.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Shopsmith Mark VII-37(not sure if all goes with it).jpg
Shopsmith Mark VII-37(not sure if all goes with it).jpg (114.6 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Shopsmith Mark VII-42(not sure if all goes with it).jpg
Shopsmith Mark VII-42(not sure if all goes with it).jpg (150.56 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Shopsmith Mark VII-43(part of the plasatic teeth broke 9-24).jpg
Shopsmith Mark VII-43(part of the plasatic teeth broke 9-24).jpg (88.92 KiB) Viewed 912 times
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Those gear teeth are avail on ebay. Look for 'shopsmith' parts and you'll find it if you want to replace the section. The gear rack on the ways is another of the poor quality setup done on the Mk VII, like the vac system.
azcoot87
Silver Member

Post by azcoot87 »

Thanks. I did find one listed on eBay. I'm going to see if the part that broke off can possibly be riveted back on. It happened right before we were leaving.
docmirror wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:45 pm Those gear teeth are avail on ebay. Look for 'shopsmith' parts and you'll find it if you want to replace the section. The gear rack on the ways is another of the poor quality setup done on the Mk VII, like the vac system.