OVERARM STANDALON ROUTER 555413

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

humility13
Bronze Member

OVERARM STANDALON ROUTER 555413

Post by humility13 »

Hello everyone! New here.

Let me thank you all in advance for any help!

I just barn-found one of the overarm standalone routers. I have ordered the manual and some pins.

I am missing one of the aluminum adj. fences. Any ideas where to get an OEM one (before I machine 2 replacements)?

Also, the "Rip" fence pictured has fixturing on the top. I am very new to analog pin-routers, and Shopsmith as a brand. Any tips, pointers, or generally what it's used for would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, how are the router's/shapers mounted (Universal?)? What would be your recommendation for the bottom router/shaper?

Pictures attached.

In other news, I now want a Mark 7 with the 2nd Gen Head!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_0967.jpeg
IMG_0967.jpeg (222.28 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
IMG_0966.jpeg
IMG_0966.jpeg (200.23 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0964.jpeg (312.03 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
IMG_0965.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg (181.49 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: OVERARM STANDALON ROUTER 555413

Post by DLB »

IIWM the first thing I would do is evaluate table flatness. These are laminated MDF or similar and have a tendency to sag. If it does sag but it is not excessive, one member had success reinforcing it with angle iron. I copied his approach but used heavy walled rectangular steel tubing.

This thread has a lot of information on the standalone OAR/OPR: viewtopic.php?t=18323

There are some Sawdust Sessions on the Mark-mounted version. Video quality is marginal, but the content is good. I think the first one with OAR content is #3, then there are several subsequent sessions with an OAR portion: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... _Index.htm

The overhead router basically clamps in place around the motor body. The under-table router mounts by removing its standard baseplate and screwing the router base to the bottom of the mounting plate in the table. You may have to drill and countersink new holes. The table plate is non-standard, as far as I know there is no available router lift that would match the table plate dimensions. I presume it is possible to re-cut the opening for a lift, this would then require a solution for pin mounting. To me, that's worth it but I haven't bitten the bullet yet.

The "rip fence" is not an OEM part. My best guess at the fixturing at the top if that it is for some type of stock guide or hold-down. Someone else here may have more info or recognize it.

I like the Bosch 1617EVS because I can use it for many applications, including both under-table and OAR in this system. It is slightly smaller (2.25 HP) than the top of the line big routers in more common use for dedicated under-table routing. If I ever upgrade, I lean toward the JessEm dedicated router for under-table only. But that is a major upgrade to this system, since it also requires a lift and I can't imagine spending all that money and not getting a new table... The Bosch, along with some competitors, has features allowing for height adjustment from above a table when mounted as an under-table router with no lift. While not as nice as a lift, this is way better than nothing. I would consider this an essential need in this application. For the Overarm part, the Bosch is excellent.

Personally, I would not replace the OEM fence piece. It is not a great fence. But, the right fence for some other products appears to be available from SS, PN 515493. (The one that you have also appears to be a "right" but I can't find a working "left" part number.) The one I found is for the Mark-mounted version, I haven't located my stand-alone manual, but this one is also common to at least one of the other SS router tables. I'm guessing that it is the same for the stand-alone.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

humility13 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:58 pm In other news, I now want a Mark 7 with the 2nd Gen Head!!!!!!
I recommend waiting to see if more improvements to the headstock and PowerPro electronics are coming. I don't always pay attention to my own recommendations though, should have waited on my first PowerPro. But it wouldn't hurt get your overarm router in shape first, which BTW looks pretty nice.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nice find!

Is that non-OEM fence long enough to span the router table side to side? It doesn’t make sense to me oriented in the direction shown in the photos — the workpiece would hit the OPR support post at the rear of the table.

Speaking of that fence, it appears to have all the bracketry needed for mounting a pair of Board Buddies. I use Jessem stock guides on my own OPR fence, but the older Board Buddies do pretty much the same thing.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Anyone here ever put BOARD BUDDIES on their 520 rip fences?

Years ago I was interested in a set but reading "You can mount these to fences that are 3 to 3-1/2-inches high" and measuring fence at less than 3'', I passed.

BUT I'm restarting my shop and believe that every safety gizmo is warranted. Please advise.

Doc
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chiroindixon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:53 am Anyone here ever put BOARD BUDDIES on their 520 rip fences?

Years ago I was interested in a set but reading "You can mount these to fences that are 3 to 3-1/2-inches high" and measuring fence at less than 3'', I passed.

BUT I'm restarting my shop and believe that every safety gizmo is warranted. Please advise.

Doc
Check out the thread below if you want to see what the Jessem Stock Guides are like on the 520 rip fence. Not as cheap as board buddies, but IMHO worth every penny.

viewtopic.php?p=255807#p255807
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor