Woodpeckers Tool - Factory Tour on Youtube

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ssuel
Gold Member

Woodpeckers Tool - Factory Tour on Youtube

Post by ssuel »

Just watched a YouTube video that was focused on a tour of Woodperkers Tool manufacturing facility. As a user of a few Woodpeckers products I really enjoyed the video and thought I would share in case you didn’t see the video before now like me. Tom McLaughlin, host and craftsman of Epic Woodworking, was getting the tour which was hosted by Richard Hummel who is the founder of Woodpecker. Also, check out Tom McLaughlin’s YouTube channel too, I didn’t know he had that much content out on YouTube either. https://youtube.com/@EpicWoodworking?si ... uAni1fY4Gl

Thanks
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers Tool - Factory Tour on Youtube

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Great tour! Thank you for telling us about it. I did not know Woodpecker was connected to Blue Spruce. If I was thirty years younger and a millionaire I would own at least one of every tool they make. I love to look hold and use precision tools and this floats my boat.
Thanks again for letting us know about the video.
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

I had the same reaction concerning the Blue Spruce connection too
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So, I assume this is the video that you meant to link on this thread? The video was posted 5 months ago on Tom's YT channel, so it wasn't easy to find because you only gave the YT link to Tom's Epic Woodworking YT channel. Just wanted to make sure I got the right video before I started watching all 30 minutes of it. Thanks.

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

Yes the video you linked is it, but my browser opened the same video too when I did the original post? I tested it in the preview mode before I published my post. Not sure why it is different now. I don’t post often so maybe I didn’t get it right somehow 😞
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

ssuel wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:44 pm Yes the video you linked is it, but my browser opened the same video too when I did the original post? I tested it in the preview mode before I published my post. Not sure why it is different now. I don’t post often so maybe I didn’t get it right somehow 😞
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I had the right video before starting to watch it. I own several Woodpeckers tools and I am happy with the ones that I own. Some I use more often than others.

I didn't know that Woodpeckers was connected with Blue Spruce Toolworks either. Blue Spruce makes some beautiful woodworking tools and I own one of their squares. A while back, The Wood Whisperer was raving about them on his former weekly YT show, but then he bought their new chisels and had issues with them. He was working with Blue Spruce to get it resolved, but I never heard what the outcome of it was. He kind of swore them off for a while. Anyone know what happened or have good experiences with Blue Spruce Toolworks? Just curious.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I spent about 20 years of my career in the precision machined parts industry, and toured dozens of factories during that time. That Woodpeckers plant is among the most impressive I’ve seen. I was especially impressed with Richard Hummel’s knowledge of the manufacturing-process details.

I used to think that Woodpeckers products were overpriced. But now that I own and regularly use a few of them, I’ve been more given to wondering how they can offer such high-quality tools and instruments at prices that many mere mortals can afford. From that video, their magic formula would appear to be 1) nail the process details, and 2) invest heavily in capable machinery and automation.

I get their emails all the time, but after hearing Hummel describe their manufacturing process, some Blue Spruce chisels just elbowed their way onto my wish list. I’m more than a little frustrated with my not-inexpensive private-labeled made-in China set.

ssuel, thanks for posting!
Last edited by BuckeyeDennis on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

If having quality, precision tools in my shop gives the impression that "precision work happens here". Maybe it is time to invest in that "impression".
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I guess Blue Spruce Toolworks got purchased by Woodpeckers a few years ago (see link below), so they are now a subsidiary. This might explain some of the quality issues I heard about regarding them in recent years. Hope they have the kinks worked out now.

https://toolguyd.com/woodpeckers-owns-b ... d%20tools.
📶RF Guy

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:54 am I guess Blue Spruce Toolworks got purchased by Woodpeckers a few years ago (see link below), so they are now a subsidiary. This might explain some of the quality issues I heard about regarding them in recent years. Hope they have the kinks worked out now.

https://toolguyd.com/woodpeckers-owns-b ... d%20tools.
ThanksRFGuy, that's some good info.

Legally, a "subsidiary" is a company that is 50% or more owned by a parent company or holding company. Less than that, it's an "affiliate". If owned 100%, it's a "wholly owned subsidiary".

So my hunch is that Dave Jeske, the founder of Blue Spruce Toolworks, still has has an ownership interest in the company.