Mark VII “Project Machine”

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shipwright
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII “Project Machine”

Post by shipwright »

I do have holes for lubrication however. The motor shaft is original and the shortening and pressing in of the Mark V sleeve only hid half of the lubricating hole so I can still access it.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
JerryGarcia
Bronze Member

Post by JerryGarcia »

shipwright wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:13 pm I finally got the Mark V control sheave assembly from my eBay order. Pressing the sleeve through the sheave, cutting 1/4” off, and pressing it back went quite easily in my veneer press. Unfortunately the process damaged the button bearing so I didn’t get to prove it would work. I punched it out and replaced it with the Mark VII follower and reassembled everything. It took a little adjusting with custom spacers and washers but I’m happy with the results so far.
My rpm range is about 830 on the low end to 5200 on the top end, measured with an optical tachometer. Not sure why it won’t get down to 700 but I’m not too worried about that. The only glitch at the moment seems to be that the detent bumps seem to lose their power toward the high end. I think a tiny modification to my custom spacer inside between the cam and the control shaft housing might tighten it up.

20231020_133544_Original.jpeg20231020_134441_Original.jpeg20231020_134914_Original.jpeg20231020_135236_Original.jpeg20231020_135427_Original.jpeg20231020_150328_Original.jpeg

A couple of short videos of the machine running up and down.

https://youtu.be/A1rk_usD49g?si=ZCGf4g5U94ryCZyE

https://youtu.be/mLi8US8ZYdg?si=X1ekpxdbju9J2NUw
I am in the process of refurbing my vii and thinking this is my only option as well. The inner diameter and keyway in my speed control sheave is worn a bit and rattles. I must not have noticed when it was all gummed up but now that it’s clean sounds aweful. Has this held up for you once the bushing is pressed out and pressed back into the sheave?
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

No problems so far but I haven’t used it much. That said I see no reason to doubt that it is as good an new.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
JerryGarcia
Bronze Member

Post by JerryGarcia »

shipwright wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:07 pm No problems so far but I haven’t used it much. That said I see no reason to doubt that it is as good an new.
Thanks! Another question i haven’t been able to find answer for do you know is the cam follower bearing in the mark vii control sheave the same size as the button bearing in the mark v sheave?
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Yes, as I remember it fit right in with a little interference, enough to keep it in place.
JerryGarcia
Bronze Member

Post by JerryGarcia »

Thanks again! Your project mark vii machine looks great. Mine has been rusting away in my dirt floor barn for the past 10 years. After a complete teardown, including motor, re-switching, new gear rack, bearings, and painting and polishing this control sheave rattle had me almost to my knees. Super happy to have found your post.
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

I was pretty happy to find that it was doable myself. Mark VII control sheaves aren’t easy to come by.