Mark VII “Project Machine”

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shipwright
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII “Project Machine”

Post by shipwright »

I ran the Mark VII up this morning in table saw, jointer, and bandsaw modes with no problems except belt tension which was easily fixed. It turns out that the belt tension cam should be tightened counterclockwise (slot on the right as you face it) to best centre the button bearing on the cam.
So far so good.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Backing up a bit to the cupped washer. I wonder how well the quill LOCK functions?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Funny you should mention that! ……
I was running the Mk VII lathe this afternoon and at first the quill kept backing off and releasing the spur. I added a washer borrowed from my 510 and it worked fine. I suspect flipping the cup washer would make it lock without the washer (the 510 does) but I should be looking for that washer anyway.
Drill press and lathe operations both indicated the need for a quill bearing replacement. A 2 1/2” Forstner bit will show you runoff if you have it! I also noticed that the spindle I was turning chattered at the headstock end so I think it is conclusive.

All that said, I have a functioning (80%) Mark VII for so far $100 +$50 for paint.
Attachments
20231008_144601_Original.jpeg
20231008_144601_Original.jpeg (695.16 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Describe the washer you 'borrowed' from the 510. Not the wave washer?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

#8 in the diagram. Mark VII diagram but the same washer, I’m sure.

IMG_3140.jpeg
IMG_3140.jpeg (234.06 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gotta tell ya about the SS demo guy when I was purchasing my Goldie. In his demonstration he removed the wave washer(#8) and said it is the first thing he discards.

I later surmised the reason for his 'thinking' after using it myself

The washer provides a gradual increasing locking force as the washer compresses. Good feature for setting up. PITA for a demonstrator who likes instant locking.(quicker)

Now about that damn exploded view. I maintain it is wrong.

Consider my earlier pix. Note that IF the washer was installed as show in the exploded view (on the other side of the headstock 'rib' ), the sleeve would have to pass through(not sure it will!) and then press the washer against the side of the quill gear which does not provide any clamping force. Also the sleeve is too short. When locked the outboard end of the sleeve is coplaner with the headstock casting and the wave washer.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

On my 510 the sleeve (#7) sticks out of the headstock about an eighth and the big wing nut clamps tight on it with or without the washer. On the VII the sleeve is just flush with the headstock and the wingie thingie binds on the headstock first. With the washer it bears on the sleeve and locks.
It’s not a wave washer. It’s flat.
I will revert to your way anyway.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So you also have an incorrect washer on the 510. I have NEVER encountered a FLAT washer at #8 on the Goldie, 510 nor MVII. Maybe that is a SS Inc stupid substitution.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

By wavy you mean the thin curved washers that would rock back and forth on a surface, right?
I’ll go and check both the 510 and the Greenie. You have me interested now.
Pix to come.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sometimes called a spring washer. I tend to make up my own descriptions.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝