Mark VII “Project Machine”

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII “Project Machine”

Post by JPG »

FWIW turning that dial does require substantial torque at even mid speeds(runaway high speed positions excepted!!!).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

I have shimmed carefully to be tight enough not to run away at the high end while keeping my cam centered in the follower. It works well.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Shimmed what? Detent thingies???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Thin shims under the circlip that holds the control disc on will tighten the detents. In my case I need to centre the cam as well so thin shims where the arrow is in the picture will adjust the position of the cam in the follower while adjusting the detents at the same time. When you get the balance it works great.
With a standard cam just under the circlip should tighten the detents.

20231015_153649_Original.jpeg
20231015_153649_Original.jpeg (276.85 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

I tried some wax on the cam. Now it turns down more easily to a low speed of 680ish. However it is under such pressure at that end that with the wax is slips back to around 720. I can live with that. 😁
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Yes, mine is hard to turn at slow speed also. I usually use 2 hands to turn it.
I also had to shim mine up at the shaft to get the detents to hold . Works great, no problems with speed drift anymore.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

This is for JPG.
Back on page 8 of this thread we were discussing what I might find inside the headstock of the greenie on the quill advance shaft. Well I got into it yesterday while replacing the gilmer belt. It was interesting. There were no washers at all inside, way too many on the spring side, and the cup washer under the quill brake. It actually kind of worked if you cranked the brake hard enough. The last picture is the “extras” for the spares drawer.

20231026_141252_Original.jpeg
20231026_141252_Original.jpeg (585.88 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
20231026_142011_Original.jpeg
20231026_142011_Original.jpeg (603.82 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
20231027_154820_Original.jpeg
20231027_154820_Original.jpeg (631.21 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
SplintersNmeoveralls
Silver Member

Post by SplintersNmeoveralls »

How to lubricate...
I have the Woodmaster 7 in 1 1981 Version of the shop smith 7-1.
It came with a green manual that states to turn on and set speed dial to Route-Shape first then turn off. Remove the name plate on back of headstock, hand turn spindle until a hole can be seen in the shaft. Add 3 drops of oil. No hole.
Also states there are holes in the motor shaft under the spring. Nope! Not there either. A 1 1/2" tube extends as the shaft sleeve then its wrapped or surrounded by a spring. I'm supposed to hand turn spindle until the hole is exposed, but there isnt a hole.
I could get some oil in between the sleeve and shaft that extends from inside of spring but that may just make a mess.
I need to get this thing lubricated.
SplintersNmeoveralls
Silver Member

Post by SplintersNmeoveralls »

Wow! Great job.
But how would you handle lubricating this.
I have the Woodmaster 7 in 1 1981 Version of the shop smith 7-1.
It came with a green manual that states to turn on and set speed dial to Route-Shape first then turn off. Remove the name plate on back of headstock, hand turn spindle until a hole can be seen in the shaft. Add 3 drops of oil. No hole.
Also states there are holes in the motor shaft under the spring. Nope! Not there either. A 1 1/2" tube extends as the shaft sleeve then its surrounded by a spring. I'm supposed to hand turn spindle until the hole is exposed, but there isnt a hole.
I could get some oil in between the sleeve and shaft that extends from inside of spring but that may just make a mess.
I need to get this thing lubricated.
Pls lend me some of your knowledge.
See my pics on maintenance post How to lubricate.
Attachments
3.pdf
(931.13 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
3.pdf
(931.13 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
spring.pdf
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
image_6487327.JPG.pdf
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

To comment on SplintersNmeoveralls posts above go to the thread "How to lubricate when there are no holes for lubrication" which already has responses posted. No need to duplicate information here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.