MKV power switch replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DZIN
Gold Member

MKV power switch replacement

Post by DZIN »

My machine is a '75 model with the single pole metal switch. I'm having a bi*** of a time. Can't get the retainer ring off to push the switch back into the housing so it can be pulled out of the access hole (plate). The ring is slotted in two places, 90 degrees apart. the manual says to use a screwdriver to remove the ring. When the ring turns the entire wiring block turns and I don't know how to hold it inside the casing. Reaching in through the access hole with my hand is no help. I can't hold the block and twist the ring, too. Is there a tool to fit that ring? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: MKV power switch replacement

Post by JPG »

180°? Needle nose pliers may make the ring nut turn. Spinning switch 'block' needs to be restrained from the inside of the headstock. Anything that restricts rotation will work. A chunk of wood inserted through the access hole?

Dropping the motor pan may be the easiest approach to gain better access to the switch. Raise to vertical, reverse the table(insert into the carriage from the 'normal' bottom to provide a shelf to support the motor).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange