Old Parts Identification

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigSky
Gold Member

Old Parts Identification

Post by BigSky »

Can any one help, please.

I have just acquired a Crafters Station that came to me with "no belts" but I do have the manual. But the manual is of no help for this problem. It does give a part number (515633) but with no part description.

The motor works but that is about all I can say. Need belts. Need Help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Old Parts Identification

Post by JPG »

For starters they are 5L (5/8") belts.

It will take a while to be able to measure them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I recommend link belts. Easier to install and they reduce vibration and noise as Scott Markwood from My Growth Rings found. He has a couple of videos on the machines, not sure if they're accessible to the public. Here's the first part: https://youtu.be/X2zFrE13pvg?si=nM1wqraAsBxDc-N5
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Link belts are abrasive on the soft aluminum sheaves.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:27 pm Link belts are abrasive on the soft aluminum sheaves.
I hadn't heard that before. Looking online about the matter it seems to be true, but people have been using them for a long time without problems. This thread from The Garage Journal discusses the subject: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/thr ... ys.287295/

I assume the problem is worse for split sheaves in conventional headstock and the variator in the Work/Crafter Station.

It looks like an excellent solution for infrequently used tools. The wear will be minimal but it avoid the problems of 'belt set'. It seems to help reduce vibration in all cases and I'd think that would be worth it for the Work Station unless it will be subject to heavy use long term.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Auto belt conditioner helps minimize vibration due to belt set especially with the wide power station belts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Here's what I have found. Belt part number 515633 is the same belt used in the Shopsmith Power Station. As JPG said it is a 5L (5/8" wide) belt. 515633 was made specifically for Shopsmith for the Power Station and Crafter's Station and the belt itself (at least the one I have) has no size marking on it. Since Shopsmith had discontinued both the Crafter's Station and the Power Station some time ago they no longer stock the belts. Measuring it I found it to be about a 24 1/2" belt. Hopefully this can give you a starting point to finding them.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

Can any one help, please.

I have just acquired a Crafters Station that came to me with "no belts" but I do have the manual. But the manual is of no help for this problem. It does give a part number (515633) but with no part description.
Has anyone found a source for these belts?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have only bought one spare belt for my Power Stations and that was from Shopsmith a while back when they closed out their stock. I have purchased V Belts for my Model 10E and 10ER restorations from Zoro.com. They have 5L V Belts in both 24" and 25" belts. I can try to see if I can get a more precise measurement on the belt size.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:27 pm I have only bought one spare belt for my Power Stations and that was from Shopsmith a while back when they closed out their stock. I have purchased V Belts for my Model 10E and 10ER restorations from Zoro.com. They have 5L V Belts in both 24" and 25" belts. I can try to see if I can get a more precise measurement on the belt size.
thank you, Russ - i appreciate you taking the time to check.