what is this?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

what is this?

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

Hi,
I just got this new, to me shopsmith and learning about it. I been doing a lot of reading and searching. There are a few tools/parts that came with mine and i can't figure out what they are for. Can someone please tell me. I attached a photo.
Attachments
1 (2).jpg
1 (2).jpg (366.17 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: what is this?

Post by edma194 »

#6 looks like the chisel sharpening jig: 555204
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... gguide.htm

Is #1 part of a Universal Tool Rest?
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... olrest.htm
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Ed is correct. #2 is a miter gauge stop rod. I don't think 4, 5 and 6 are Shopsmith parts.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

#2 505629 Miter Gauge Stop Rod

Doc
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I believe John meant to say 3, 4 and 5, not
I don't think 4, 5 and 6 are Shopsmith parts.
and I agree with him that 3, 4 and 5 are not Shopsmith parts. 3 has some markings that I cannot read but may be a clue as to what it belongs to.

As others have said

6 is the Lathe Chisel Sharpening Jig. It works quite well for putting a nice edge on your Lathe Chisels.

1 is the mounting base for the Universal Lathe Tool Rest. Check the link Ed provided to the catalog page for the Universal Lathe Tool Rest to see if you have any of the other parts to it. It's a nice accessory if you have all of it.

2 is the Miter Gauge Stop Rod. It attaches to the Miter as shown on page 38 (top left drawing) in the Mark V 500 Summary Manual linked below. Do note that the actual page 38 is the 25th page in the summary manual as it is not a complete manual with all pages.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

Thank you all very much. This thing is so beautiful and soooooooooo many parts i have to learn.
Paul