Looking for advice, horizontal boring, edge joining with dowels and glue

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodhead52
Gold Member

Looking for advice, horizontal boring, edge joining with dowels and glue

Post by woodhead52 »

Hello Shopsmithers,

I'm thankful for the fact that this Shopsmith group seems dedicated to actually to doing and discussing woodworking as opposed to just the the buying, renovating and selling of Shopsmiths. Not that I don't appreciate that as well, but I love using my Shopsmith to make things and in many ways I'm still a newbie woodworker that has many questions. I've finally, with the help of at least 1 good Shopsmith related and several non-shopsmith related videos (mostly non-Shopsmith), and lots of practicing learned some good milling techniques to achieve flat faced and square edged boards using a combination of the Shopsmith jointer, a surface planner (a Wen not a Shopsmith) and the Shopsmith table saw. I admit that I've struggled mightily with this process, but it's finally coming together. Just recently I took a badly twisted and cupped rough cut piece of popular and ended up with a board that is flat on both sides, and edges, very close to even thickness end to end (to within .002"), and square on all edges and corners. Not bragging, just relating my pleasure of this accomplishment.

I think now I'm ready to learn how to edge join and glue boards so o can make cutting boards or table tops, etc. To accomplish this I want to get good at horizontal boring, dowel placement and edge glueing. To begin with I intend to just use pine 2x4s for practice. I realize that it will not make a good cutting board. This is just for practice and I can use the 2x4s to practice edge and face joining, surface planing, etc.

I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you folks and discuss your tips, techniques and tricks in order to learn from all of you. I'm hoping learn from you and really hoping that it won't just be crickets, like I'm getting on Facebook.

Regards,
Pete
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for advice, horizontal boring, edge joining with dowels and glue

Post by JPG »

Duplicate thread - post to the other one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange