Looking for advice, horizontal boring, edge joining with dowels and glue

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for advice, horizontal boring, edge joining with dowels and glue

Post by JPG »

Yep. But adequate for breaking down to slightly oversize pieces.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:04 am Yep. But adequate for breaking down to slightly oversize pieces.
JPG,

Yeah, I agree. I have used that approach many times. I always had to leave an inch or so of margin in case my measurements were off from the edge of my circ saw to the cutline and kerf size. You still have to cut to finish size for the project. Even that for large pieces I would prefer to do using my track saw. Personally I just don't like manhandling a large piece of plywood on my Mark V, especially if it is 3/4" plywood. Many do this on their Mark V and I applaud them. Just not something I choose to do. Tracksaws have gotten quite affordable in recent years so for woodworkers that do quite a bit of sheet goods they should really consider getting one IMHO. Of course, if they can't afford one then a circ saw and straight edge is fantastic until they can afford a track saw.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ya oughta try making 2' x 5' pieces with a 45° bevel on the long side of 1" plywood on a Mark 5. BTDT before track saws were thought of. Had to slide the table away from the blade that was spinning "off the edge of the table". Just do not tell QSHA!'

As I have said before, risky process is "OK" as long as the risks are adequately identified and successfully abated.

Fer sure a tracksaw would have been a far more reasonable/safer procedure.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:34 pm Ya oughta try making 2' x 5' pieces with a 45° bevel on the long side of 1" plywood on a Mark 5. BTDT before track saws were thought of. Had to slide the table away from the blade that was spinning "off the edge of the table". Just do not tell QSHA!'

As I have said before, risky process is "OK" as long as the risks are adequately identified and successfully abated.

Fer sure a tracksaw would have been a far more reasonable/safer procedure.
JPG,

Ahhh, I see...affirming your GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) status. :D Nice. Also it is impressive what can be accomplished with Shopsmith tools. Yeah, at the end of the day, ALL tools are dangerous. :eek: A woodworker (or machinist) has to be mindful and think through an operation taking safety precautions where they can. However, in a pinch, skill & luck can and will trump any safety deficiencies. Just not something to rely on 24/7! ;) Maybe I praise track saws too much/often on this forum. I feel confident that I can say the next statement because it happened to me in the past. I believe many Shopsmith owners get tunnel vision at times; meaning that they become too consumed with doing every wood operation that they can in the shop on their Shopsmith equipment. Sometimes it is the best tool for the job, but sometimes there is a better mouse trap and often you already have that tool in your shop already. Other times, a purchase is required. A track saw can be one of those better mouse traps. I have beat the tracksaw band wagon long enough on this forum, so I will stop mentioning it in posts when it becomes relevant as I feel like I am repeating myself too much here. The complementary approach that I take with using my Mark V where I believe it performs best in juxtaposition with other tool brands in my shop is kinda unique on the forum (or at least I am the only one talking about it ;) ). So, perhaps I have already worn out my welcome on this forum...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Personally, I like hearing about alternative ways/tools to perform a task. Including when those are alternative to a Mark, and especially when those tasks are difficult or time consuming on the Mark and/or of better quality using the alternative. A track saw and Festool Domino are both on my radar as tools I'd consider as additions to my shop if I embarked on certain projects as a result of discussions on this forum. (The Domino being pretty far down my list of desirable products until competing products hit the market. I think I can do more with tools I already have, so the Domino for me is about speed and convenience which are outweighed by its price.)

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:24 am Personally, I like hearing about alternative ways/tools to perform a task. Including when those are alternative to a Mark, and especially when those tasks are difficult or time consuming on the Mark and/or of better quality using the alternative. A track saw and Festool Domino are both on my radar as tools I'd consider as additions to my shop if I embarked on certain projects as a result of discussions on this forum. (The Domino being pretty far down my list of desirable products until competing products hit the market. I think I can do more with tools I already have, so the Domino for me is about speed and convenience which are outweighed by its price.)

- David
David,

Thanks. I appreciate it. At times the Shopsmith community (forum, YT, etc.) can be a bit of an echo chamber. Often I have a counter viewpoint and I try to selectively share it in as respectful of a manner as I can (like on this thread regarding horizontal boring). Sometimes I change my opinion because of insights, techniques, viewpoints shared by others here and I am very grateful for that. Sometimes my viewpoint gets drowned out by the echo chamber. I certainly don't have all of the answers...far from it, but I do strive to seek truth and I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong on any subject. I am always brutally honest though and that can infuriate some, but that is never my intent. I know the "complementary" workflow that I describe for my shop isn't new or revolutionary, but when my mind made that paradigm shift, it felt that way to me. It doesn't have to be Festool that you choose, but where they excel is as an ecosystem (tools working well together on a common platform). I have a near complete ecosystem of Shopsmith, though I don't use all of it today, and a partial ecosystem of Festool. The two were married in a shotgun wedding in my shop and are thriving, but there are many different brides out there, so find the bride that mates best with your Shopsmith equipment in your shop! :D
📶RF Guy

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Tunnel vision is a mind narrowing hazard. One must realize there is no "one" correct anything. A decision must always include consideration of alternate methods. Everyone has a different set of 'assets' to work with so only they can determine the 'best path'. Now here is where tunnel vision becomes a deterrent. How many times have 'we' done something a certain way and in hindsight realize the folly of that method (BTDT!).

Called learning experience as wisdom progresses.

Keep thy minds open to views created by other's experience(called intelligent observation).

END RANT!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

JPG wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:24 pm Tunnel vision is a mind narrowing hazard. One must realize there is no "one" correct anything. A decision must always include consideration of alternate methods. Everyone has a different set of 'assets' to work with so only they can determine the 'best path'. Now here is where tunnel vision becomes a deterrent. How many times have 'we' done something a certain way and in hindsight realize the folly of that method (BTDT!).

Called learning experience as wisdom progresses.

Keep thy minds open to views created by other's experience(called intelligent observation).

END RANT!
+1

I noticed early on as a woodworker that the tools on hand often decide the method of accomplishing the task at hand. Once in a while some procedure might require the purchase of a new tool, but more often than not when starting out I found that money was harder to come by than imagination and so a large part of the pleasure of woodworking for me was (and still is, even though there are more tools on hand these days :) ) problem solving within the constraints of the available resources. As RF Guy points out, the Shopsmith can be considered as part of a greater system that includes all the tools in the workshop. In his case, Festool equipment mates well with the Shopsmith, which is great. In my case, I found that hand tools and a high speed router pair well with the SS and its SPTs. Whatever gets the job done safely and to your satisfaction is the "right" way. Always more to learn.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser