bandsaw tilts to the right.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

bandsaw tilts to the right.

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

I mounted the bandsaw and it tilts to the right. I don't see and adjustment for tilting it. You guys are very helpful, thanks in advance.
1.jpg
1.jpg (323.96 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
20231011_113338.jpg
20231011_113338.jpg (208.15 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
20231011_154859.jpg
20231011_154859.jpg (207.18 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: bandsaw tilts to the right.

Post by edma194 »

The posts holding SPTs like the bandsaw are a little loose in the mounting holes. This doesn't really affect performance but you may prefer your bandsaw table to be level. I've seen this come up on the forum about the lathe tailstock which does need to be well aligned with the main spindle on the headstock. One approach is to use a wood wedge between the SPT and the end of the way tubes. This is a little easier on the other end of the way tubes that have the tilt casting instead of the tilt release mechanism but should still work. You can also add shims between the posts and the mounting holes to keep it straight. Some pieces of aluminum soda can might fit in there.

It's also important to make sure the locking handle that holds SPTs in place has the square ended lock screws extending the same distance out from the handle so that it tightens on the tubes securely to hold them in place.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would be suspicious of the upper end of the mounting tubes not centered in the holes or tubes too short).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

I did remove and check the bandsaw tubes. the tubes fit in the bottom of the bandsaw very tight.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

What type of mounting posts do you have on the bandsaw? The various types are shown here.

Doesn't look like you have collars on them. If they are offset post are they resting on the offset on top of the end casting?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

You might test that the Headrest is properly installed on the bench (lower) tubes. You can install the extension table in the Headrest mounts and see if the extension table tubes are square to the bench tubes. An angle block or cube (Wixey or similar) or a short square with a plumb vial would be helpful, but this is probably far enough off to eyeball it. My thinking here is to isolate between the bandsaw and everything else by taking the BS out of the equation.

- David
PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

20231012_095258.jpg
20231012_095258.jpg (278.16 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
20231012_095302.jpg
20231012_095302.jpg (273.79 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
20231012_095557.jpg
20231012_095557.jpg (267.32 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
OIK, great idea, I did just what you said with an extension table. I put a level on it and on the garage floor. The floor is level but the extension table is way off. I also checked the extension table with the upper bars in the lathe position and drill press position. It wasn't level in either position. I read that there is supposed to be set screws holding the lower bars on, mine doesn't have set screws, it has two bolds and a bar. What do I do now?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Re bandsaw tubes: they must be tight at both the bottom where the tubes enter the BS AND at the upper end where they go into a hole.

Re bench tubes: They must lay flat against the casting. There may be a ridge that serves as a stop that the tubes may be resting on top of.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:13 pm Re bandsaw tubes: they must be tight at both the bottom where the tubes enter the BS AND at the upper end where they go into a hole.
IIRC the now-standard eccentric mounts don't engage the upper hole once the BS is adjusted for drive shaft alignment. One of the things not to love about them. Not long enough above, nor below, the eccentric joint and too small in diameter. In comparison to the straight tubes they replaced.

Another thing we've seen on the bench tubes is that excessive tightening of those clamp bolts can crush the tube. You're not missing setscrews, those are used on the way (upper) tubes.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Set screws hold the Way Tubes in place. Your picture of the bolts and bar to hold the Bench Tubes is correct and has been that way for all Mark 5/V's since their introduction.

In your picture above and shown below I noticed the legs are not completely aligned to the Headrest with a gap as indicated by the arrow.

-
PAULSCOOTER Mark V 510 - arrow.jpg
PAULSCOOTER Mark V 510 - arrow.jpg (279.37 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
It may require removing the storage shelf to correct this.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Eccentric Mounting Posts used for the Bandsaw and how they are a bit short going into the Bandsaw Main Frame. The picture below shows a properly aligned, to my Mark V 520, Bandsaw mounted on a Headrest. For those of you who have noticed it the lock is not tightened and therefore not centered. The green arrow shows the Eccentric Mounting Post offset resting on the Headrest. The red arrow shows where the top of the Mounting Post doesn't quite go all the way through the top hole in the Bandsaw Main Frame casting. It is short of touching the stop above the upper hole. I mention this for those reading this thread looking for similar help.

_
Eccentric Mounting Posts - arrows.jpg
Eccentric Mounting Posts - arrows.jpg (130.54 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
If you read the information in the link Ed provided than you know the Bandsaw originally had straight Mounting Posts with adjustable Collars like yours. The picture below shows a Goldie Bandsaw with straight Mounting Posts. In this picture the Posts are not set all the way up to the stop. That stop was for the straight Mounting Posts to go up to in the Bandsaw Main Frame. The Collars were used to "set" the resting position of the Bandsaw in the Headrest Mounting Holes when the shafts (Bandsaw and Headstock Drive Shafts) are aligned. The Bandsaw Main Frame casting itself is the same today as it was when the Bandsaw was introduced in the 1950's. I have a Greenie Bandsaw with its original straight Mounting Posts and had no trouble aligning it to my Mark 7. Straight Mounting Posts have less adjustment available to align the hub to the Headstock than the Eccentric Mounting Posts. For some reason on yours the Bandsaw drive shaft does not seem to be in straight alignment with the Headstocks Drive Sleeve. It is possible your Headrest is not set evenly on the Bench Tubes.

_
Straight Mounting Posts.jpg
Straight Mounting Posts.jpg (221.91 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
Although not as likely as other alignment issues the Main Frame casting could be bent slightly at the Mounting Post holes causing some tilt. If this is part of the problem the solution would be getting a replacement Main Frame. If needed, you would want an early Main Frame Assembly from a Bandsaw with the Cast Iron Table. There is a difference between the Main Frame Assembly for the Cast Iron Table having pressed in bushings for the table mount and the Aluminum Table which has slip in bushings for the table mount.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.