Quill Bearings

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shipwright
Platinum Member

Quill Bearings

Post by shipwright »

I am replacing the quill bearings on my three machines. I got a bag of five on Amazon and have fitted two to the Mark VII and the Mark 5 but when I pulled the shaft on the Mark V (510) I noticed the front end bearing was 3/64” less in thickness than the other two (and my replacements). Does anybody know if that 3/64” will prevent the snap ring from going back in the quill end? The ones I bought exactly match the measurements of the old bearings in the Mark VII and the Mark 5 and are pretty bang on 1 7/16” thick. The one in the 510 is about a 64th over 1 3/8”. Obviously I don’t want to pull the bearing and press a new one on only to find that I can’t get the snap ring back in.
Thanks In advance for any help.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Quill Bearings

Post by DLB »

I think your 510 most likely has a two bearing quill. There are a couple of possible combinations of bearings in those, all of which are different than the single bearing quills common in 500's and before. Can you see the numbers on the outer (business end) bearing on the 510? Likely a 6003 or 6203. From this, we can deduce the inner bearing if you want to replace both.

Good Jacob A video on two bearing quill variants and bearing service: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJDsykCzoE)

- David
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Thanks. The bearings I have are 6202 and as I said they are just a shade thick. Otherwise they match perfectly. I’m tempted to press one on and see if I can still get the snap ring in but thought I’d ask first to see if someone already had.I’m not very worried about the second bearing. Personally I’m not convinced it does enough to get much wear.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW the M5/MVII quill bearings are 5/8" x 35mm x 11mm [6202-10-2...]
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Yes, those are the ones I have, an odd mix of metric and British.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The two bearing quills don't have the 5/8" bore, they are standard metric bearings. 17 mmm bore. And either 10 mm or 12 mm wide, depending on quill version. Sounds like yours are 10mm wide.(?) I use 6003-2RS because I prefer sealed bearings.

- David
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Thanks. I’ll check the number today but they are definitely not 12mm wide and are almost certainly the 10mm as you say.
Strangely the bearings I bought that fit the other two press tight were sold exactly as JPG a posted, 5/8” X 35mm x 11mm which i do find strange.
As for shaft size the 510 seemed identical (5/8”) to the others with dial caliper anyway. 5/8” is only 15.9mm so 17mm should show different.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The "-10" part of the bearing PN that JPG gave is what signifies that it has a non-standard bore, in this case 5/8". So, for example, a 6202-2RS is the generic number for 15X35X11 mm. But a 6202-10-2RS is 5/8"X35mmX11mm. Used, IIRC, in the SS belt sander as well as the early quills. Maybe elsewhere. The "-10" doesn't show up on the bearing itself making it really easy to order the (wrong) all metric ones, so at least you dodged that. When you get your 510 quill the rest of the way apart you'll see that while the shaft size is still 5/8" outboard of the bearing, the bearing seat portion is of larger diameter.

- David
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Thank you! That helps a lot. I suspected the bearing seat might be a step up from the adjacent shaft from your earlier post.
It also means that I might have a use of my 3 extra 6202s as I have a belt sander.
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Just FYI the ones I bought didn’t have the -10 marking, just said 5/8”.
Attachments
IMG_3167.png
IMG_3167.png (560.67 KiB) Viewed 950 times