pictures upside down regardless of rotate?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kenc
Bronze Member

pictures upside down regardless of rotate?

Post by kenc »

I was entering photos into a post - taken with an iphone 13 using the "correct" orientation, i.e. two buttons on the top. All of the pictures were upside down when previewed. I used "save as" on one picture in my laptop and flipped it in win11.
I then tried posting BOTH, as an experiment. BOTH were upside down even though one was right side up, and the other flipped on the computer.

How can this be fixed?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: pictures upside down regardless of rotate?

Post by JPG »

The forum ignores orientation meta data. Take pix in landscape mode.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Not about to move to WIN11 yet, but on WIN10, I solve this all the time by using Paint (built into all MS). You can easily rotate the image and resave it, then upload it to the forum. Works EVERY time. Also, occasionally, I have an image that is too large and it can easily be resized into the correct size image to include on this forum using Paint as well. Of course there are 3rd party apps as well instead of Paint. Using rotate in WIN11 may only change the metadata and not actually rotate the image...just a guess.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I take all my Shopsmith pictures with an iPhone. From there I do the same as RFGuy to crop, resize, rotate etc. I do save as and rename the "new" picture.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
kenc
Bronze Member

Post by kenc »

Thanks, but as I said in the orignal post I DID take the photos in the correct landscape - two buttons on top - orientation. And also as I mentioned, I rotated one picture (twice to "flip" upside down) in win11 photo viewer and inserted original AND rotated photo. Both previewed as upside down.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

kenc wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:43 am Thanks, but as I said in the orignal post I DID take the photos in the correct landscape - two buttons on top - orientation. And also as I mentioned, I rotated one picture (twice to "flip" upside down) in win11 photo viewer and inserted original AND rotated photo. Both previewed as upside down.
So, what happened when you read this post and went back and tried MS Paint instead to do the rotate as Russ and I suggested???
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

kenc wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:43 am Thanks, but as I said in the orignal post I DID take the photos in the correct landscape - two buttons on top - orientation. And also as I mentioned, I rotated one picture (twice to "flip" upside down) in win11 photo viewer and inserted original AND rotated photo. Both previewed as upside down.
Does win11 rotate the pix of merely alter metadata.

Again, this forum IGNORES metadata and ONLY displays the pix as stored.

As suggested, use something other (paint) to rotate.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange