Omaha Shopsmith Users Group

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Omaha Shopsmith Users Group

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I have owned and used Shopsmith equipment for 40 years. I am ready to start leading monthly meetings here in Bellevue, Nebraska for Shopsmith users. Anyone in the Omaha area is welcome to attend. First one will be Saturday, November 18th at 1PM and thereafter on the 3rd Saturday of each month. E-mail me your name and city of residence if you plan to attend. Send to Stephen_A._Draper@msn.com and I will provide details including my address.
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Re: Omaha Shopsmith Users Group

I am excited that we have ten members now and our first meeting 4 days ago was terrific! Of all the US based Shopsmith Users Groups (to my knowledge) we are currently the only one that has regular meetings face to face using the equipment. Our current membership has people with various levels of experience owning and using Shopsmith machines from new owners to owners with over 40 years experience.
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Our first meeting of the Omaha Shopsmith Users Group went well. We completed the first 5 assignments of Lesson 1 in the Self Study Course for The Shopsmith Mark V Home Workshop System using my Mark V model 520. The assignments were 1. Check and Align Your Saw 2. How to Rip Lumber. 3. How to Crosscut Lumber 4. How to Crosscut Lumber to Equal Lengths and 5. How to Cut Rabbets.
In December's meeting we will continue by completing the last two assignments which are 6. How to Make a Tongue and Groove Joint and 7. How to Make Miter Cuts.
Everyone participated and used the machine to perform those tasks with lumber that was supplied.
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

The second meeting of the Omaha Shopsmith Users Group will be on Saturday, December 16th in Bellevue. There are 12 members in our group. We will finish the first lesson from the 10 lesson course that every owner receives when purchasing a new Shopsmith Mark machine. .
Members of the group can bring their Shopsmith miter gauge to our meeting. We will be setting up and calibrating your gauge so that it will be perfectly accurate performing crosscut and miter cuts on your machine.
Also, any member one who has a small item to show off made with your Shopsmith, please bring it to show to the group.
We will also have some free Shopsmith items to give away.
Additionally, we will be discussing how we can help one of our members with health issues reorganize and downsize his Shopsmith shop. Any Shopsmith owner in the Omaha Metro Area is welcome to attend and can do so by joining Omaha Shopsmith Users Group on Facebook.
RichHawes
Bronze Member

Post by RichHawes »

Stephen- looking to join the Omaha area group to learn about my 500. Looking to tear down the head first. No idea what abuse or neglect it's had in the past. I haven't located the FB group.
Thanks,
Rich
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

We have been meeting monthly on the third Saturday of each month. The Shopsmith Celebration of Woodworking in Dayton, Ohio is on that day in May. Since I will be attending it, there will be no meeting in May. The next meeting is June 15th in my workshop in Bellevue at 1 PM. To participate and get the address, join the Omaha Shopsmith Users Group facebook page here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/879721943155674