Cutting angled box sides

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SASman
Silver Member

Cutting angled box sides

Post by SASman »

Hey all,
I’m making a couple of jewelry type boxes with removable sliding trays and a secret compartment in the bottom. See the picture attached. One's made of walnut (1/2” thick sides) and the other’s cherry (3/4” thick). 14” long by 7” wide by 5” high.
I’ve decided the cherry box sides are too thick but rather than resawing them I’ve decided to use them as an accent by sawing them at an angle bottom to top so the top edges will be 1/2” but the bottoms will remain 3/4”.
Which brings up my concern. I plan on tipping the SS table to the required angle and pushing the box through upside down for each side along the fence. I have a tall fence extension for the purpose. I’ll only need to readjust the fence to cut the sides then the ends.
Never having tried this before I’d just like to ask you all if you think this will be safe or if not do you know a safer way? Jointer maybe?
Thanks.
Randy C
P.s. I made the secret compartments by resawing a thin slice off 1” thick boards, cutting out the compartment with my newest SPT, a SS Scroll Saw, then glued the thin slice back on.
Attachments
20231014_185021.jpeg
20231014_185021.jpeg (579.83 KiB) Viewed 7647 times
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting angled box sides

Post by garys »

Am I understanding this correctly? You plan to angle the 5" side from bottom to top and use the table saw to do it? If so, you won't have enough blade depth to make the 5" deep cut. It can be done with the bandsaw however, but the band saw will leave a rough surface that requires clean up to get it smooth again. That can be done using the belt sander to carefully remove the bandsaw marks.
SASman
Silver Member

Post by SASman »

Hey Garys ,
Yep, that’s the plan. You’re right. I realized after I sent that the tablesaw wouldn’t span the full width of the side, but since it’s a small amount to take off, going to nothing at the blade height, I figured it shouldn’t matter. I’ll still need a fair amount of planing/sanding either way.
And I’m still fighting with my bandsaw to get it to resaw correctly. So far the bandsaw’s winning.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

As separate pieces, you could rig a slight tilt angle on a sled to go thru a planer and slowly work your way thru the material depth.
If they are already glued up, bandsaw would be my choice.

If I were any good with a hand plane-i would say that too :)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

There may be some challenges in this plan. IIUC you plan to use the top of the box and opposing sides for references against the table and fence. But once you cut the first side at an angle, it will be a poor reference against the fence for cutting its opposite. A sacrificial fence that would allow the side being cut to be the one against the fence might solve this.

IIWM I'd consider a wide (2 - 3") chamfer instead. This may also present some challenges, I'd still want to use the side being cut as the reference. The chamfer would allow some choices in addition to a bandsaw.

- David